thoughts on changing a 2wd to 4wd comanche - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > thoughts on changing a 2wd to 4wd comanche

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockRubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 12-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
Submariner
Submariner

2005 TJ Wrangler 

thoughts on changing a 2wd to 4wd comanche

what all does it take to change a 2wd to a 4wd comanche.

I am looking at a nice little 87 with an automatic but it is a 2wd.

I am thinking of finding a finding another auto with a tranfercase and then a front axle but can I use any axle from a cherokee or do I need a axle from a comanche?

So how about some pointers on wheather to do this?

suggestions gentlemen and ladies

With 20 years in the US Navy, and nine+ years underwater on Nuc Sub's.

And they wonder why I am the way I am!!!!!!
Submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

i am pretty sure the parts you need for a swap can be pulled from a cherokee. the mj is supposed to be the same from the doors forward, so a 4wd conversion should be the same as on an xj. i think all you need is a 4wd tranny, transfer case, front axle with the same gearing as the rear, driveshafts, shift lever and wiring harness for the 4wd. i am considering doing the same, so hopefully someone who knows for sure or has done it will chime in. if not, try comancheclub.com
Nick05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
thedude30425
1989 MJ Comanche 

MJ and XJ front axles are the same. But you have get the same gearing, the 4.0L had auto: 3.55, manual: 3.07, and 2.5 had manual: 4.10s I believe, don't recall for the auto but, likely 3.55. You would need the t case, the rear and front drive shaft, and of course, the front axle. So, ideally find an MJ with the same motor and trans as yours and take what I mentioned above and you're set! Unless I'm forgetting anything?
thedude30425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 06:42 AM   #4
87MJTim
1987 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude30425 View Post
MJ and XJ front axles are the same.... the rear and front drive shaft...
The MJ rear drive shift is longer than the XJ (even with the short bed). You will need to cut down the 2wd axil to fit the 4wd tcase.

87 Comanche, 4.0, BA10/5, D44
84 CJ7, 4.2, T5
87MJTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
caddynut

if its a short bed you can use a old style 84-93ish 2 dr 4x4 rear driveshaft
caddynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
97_4popper
1990 MJ Comanche 

Don't forget the bracket for the linkage for the 4wd shift lever. The front axle and driveshaft are identical to XJ. You will need a 4wd transmission or change over the rear section of your tranny. Easier to get the whole tranny. If your MJ is 4.0, then make sure you get the drivetrain components from a 4.0. If not, the tranny and transfer case will be weaker and incorrect number of splines if you are mixing/matching. The driveshaft will need to be from a correct bed length MJ or have yours shortened. Good Luck!
Check out comancheclub.com...
My build thread: http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewt...hp?f=7&t=27756
Wifes: 97 TJ 2.5 4X4 5sp 31's stock. . . Slow but; reliable.
97_4popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2014, 11:02 PM   #7
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

We started on doing this today.
All the parts came from a 91 XJ, AX15, NP231 and 3.07 gears.
EVerything has be a straight forward swap except the transfer case shifter pivot bracket it takes a
fiddling, I just got it in place and sprayed some paint over it. I had instant whole placement.

I was able to use the 2wd speedometer cable it barely reaches.
The driveshaft will have to be cut down somewhere between 9 and 10 inches I havn't got that
far yet. We got agitated this evening with a blown hydraulic hose on the clutch.

I alos have to add that the xfer case sfiter holes did not line up nicely with the mj cover either.
You also need the tranny mount from the XJ if your going from a BA5/10 to an AX15 like we did.
Unread 01-21-2014, 03:59 AM   #8
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

I've been involved with 5 over the years, bought rolled or wrecked XJs and had everything right there, easy swap, then cut the body up and send it on its way. We even used the interiors/consoles, later model front clips on two of them. Everything swaps over easy enough
Good luck

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.