Thinking of buying this Comanche need HELP! Is this a good deal? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Thinking of buying this Comanche need HELP! Is this a good deal?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-11-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
Renosausage
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thinking of buying this Comanche need HELP! Is this a good deal?

So here is the story. I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport that absolutely love, but unfortunately its an automatic and I really would love to have a manual Jeep. I found this Comanche in my area for $1000. It sounded like a good deal but after visiting the guy and seeing the Jeep myself I'm really not sure.
Here is my examination.

The Good
Its a 1987 Jeep Comanche Chief
4 Wheeled Drive
Has a 3.5 inch Rancho Lift
5 Speed Transmission
Engine runs Well
Transmission Sifts good
Engine Oil and radiator fluid look very good
No floor rust or bed rust

The Bad
Missing rear tail light and rear bumper
Needs a paint job!!!
Right rear side has a terrible dent in it that needs repair
Engine has a rocker arm cover leak (No Big deal)
The guy put 31s in the back and 29s in the front so it needs tires all around
Heater control button was missing

Like I said before The guy is selling this for 1000 bucks. Is it worth the buy? My intentions are to fix it up and probably resale my Cherokee if I like it or resale it if I don't.

Here is the Craigslist Link:
http://fayetteville.craigslist.org/cto/2134104629.html

Renosausage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
Bignuke
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would try and talk him down a bit.. maybe $800 cash? That dent is huge lol
Bignuke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
BlindmeXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

x2 On the dent, I would still get at a lower price. Looks like a fun project.
Unread 01-12-2011, 10:24 AM   #4
Tomsatx

Its a tad rough, I would keep looking. Having an owner that takes better care of their vehicle pays off in the end if your planning on keeping it mostly stock. Also, its not the 4.0 HO efi either is it?
Tomsatx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
Cherokee-at-16
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Go see him agian, if you plan to drive it home bring another person with you, if your gonna trailer it bring the trailer. Also, bring $900. Then offer $500 cash and see what he does, He sees cash and you ready to take it take it home then and there. Have him work you up to $750-800, You get the truck, he thinks he won.
Unread 01-17-2011, 05:00 AM   #6
tipp03

I find my jeep easy to work on. lots of parts in local junk yard
tipp03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2011, 08:39 AM   #7
75SV1

Overall a bit rough. Still, I think as other stated problably $800 takes it. Really depends on what you want the vehicle for. For a grocery getter, DD, work vehicle? I see rougher ones running around town. Also, the manual should be the Peugout BA-10/5. Maybe its been changed or upgraded to an AX-15. The Renix 4.0L still does a good job. Some say it gets a bit better MPG than the HOs.
Tom
75SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2011, 10:18 AM   #8
driverdave
1989 MJ Comanche 

I would start offering a price of $500.00 like other have said.I paid $500.00 for mine and my bed was in much worse shape than this one, I have around $500.00 into it and still have another $1,000 in parts to put into the MJ.
I am sure you could find a nicer one for a grand but if you want a fixer upper then low ball the guy
driverdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
comanche12
1987 MJ Comanche 

Tags
4wd , buy , comanche , jeep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.