Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Thinking about a Comanche...

740 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  87manche 
#1 ·
Howdy, I signed up because I'm hoping to buy a Jeep. So far, my Jeep of choice is the Comanche...

Anyway, onto the meat of it. The tranny on my Sundance let go Friday and I need a replacement vehicle. Soon. I was thinking about buying a Comanche that I had seen for sale locally... It's an 88, 4wd, 5spd, 4.0L. I'd like to know what kind of aftermarket support there is for them, as opposed to a popular Wrangler. Are they related to Cherokees in terms of parts interchangeability? Would an 88 be fuel injected or carbed still? They look like a Cherokee with a truck bed... My intended uses are pretty much light duty 4wheelin'. I may use it for the occassional mudding, in the snow on the way to work, etc. I'd like to put a lift on it for more clearance and better tires. I don't plan on any heavy stuff. What are the strengths of this truck? Weaknesses? It's $1500 at a local dealer, I can get it cheaper with cash.

My background? ASE cert parts pro,brakes, and chassis cert too. But, in three years, I haven't had one pass me in the shop. I work at a tire shop in the morning and a NAPA in the evening. I've got a strong background in drag racing but this would be my first foray into 4wd vehicles.

#2 ·
77CBBobber said:
Howdy, I signed up because I'm hoping to buy a Jeep. So far, my Jeep of choice is the Comanche...

Anyway, onto the meat of it. The tranny on my Sundance let go Friday and I need a replacement vehicle. Soon. I was thinking about buying a Comanche that I had seen for sale locally... It's an 88, 4wd, 5spd, 4.0L. I'd like to know what kind of aftermarket support there is for them, as opposed to a popular Wrangler. Are they related to Cherokees in terms of parts interchangeability? Would an 88 be fuel injected or carbed still? They look like a Cherokee with a truck bed... My intended uses are pretty much light duty 4wheelin'. I may use it for the occassional mudding, in the snow on the way to work, etc. I'd like to put a lift on it for more clearance and better tires. I don't plan on any heavy stuff. What are the strengths of this truck? Weaknesses? It's $1500 at a local dealer, I can get it cheaper with cash.

My background? ASE cert parts pro,brakes, and chassis cert too. But, in three years, I haven't had one pass me in the shop. I work at a tire shop in the morning and a NAPA in the evening. I've got a strong background in drag racing but this would be my first foray into 4wd vehicles.
AS far as cherokee and comanche being interchangable, it's the truth, from dash foward as long as the cherokee has inline 6. (don't hold me to this)

After market parts aren't hard, but are not easy to find, I believe you can use XJ front suspension for lift ( XJ lift kits)

Comanches are really good, But being that yours is a 88, it will have the puke-goat transmission, which is the weaklink in the Jeep.

Someone else who wants to add, please do so.

#3 ·
The motor will be fuel injected. Yes it has the "less" desireble tranny, but for strret use, it will be fine. The front of the MJ's are exactly the same from the crossmember forward. They do however have more bracing, and cab mounts. From the tranny xmember on back they are diffferent, and the frame widens. Also the bed of the truck is bolted to the frame. In all honesty, not seeing the truck, 1000-1500 sounds resaonable. I have one for sale that is all ready lifted, with what I call minor issues for a 1000 bucks. Just check the for sale forum.

Patrick

#5 ·
77CBBobber said:
Will it be worth while to swap in an AX15 tranny inplace of the Peugot tranny that is in it now? Also, is this a direct bolt-in or is there some slight mods that will need to be done?
Yes the AX-15 is very worth while to swap in at ANY point. I believe its a direct bolt in but don't quote me on that, theres a write up on it here somewhere, I can't remember where the link is. Just do a search for it.

#6 ·
akinny

Here's the deal, it's got 150k on it and they want $1500. I'm gonna go with $1000 cash and see if I can get it with tax/title for that much.

I found a Peugot for $200...but...he said it was for an 89, so I'm gonna go look at it tommorrow. If it is a Peugot, I'll run it for a while anyway cause it's only got 70k on it. As I find good deals, I'll eventually upgrade to an ax15. The swap involves a a new tranny mount, clutch assembly setup, bellhousing and swapping a gear in the transfer case. So, I'll hold off on it.

#9 ·
77CBBobber said:
Here's the deal, it's got 150k on it and they want $1500. I'm gonna go with $1000 cash and see if I can get it with tax/title for that much.

I found a Peugot for $200...but...he said it was for an 89, so I'm gonna go look at it tommorrow. If it is a Peugot, I'll run it for a while anyway cause it's only got 70k on it. As I find good deals, I'll eventually upgrade to an ax15. The swap involves a a new tranny mount, clutch assembly setup, bellhousing and swapping a gear in the transfer case. So, I'll hold off on it.
The easiest way to do it, and the way the PO did mine was to just grab the AX-15 and t-case as one unit. That way you don't have to change the input shaft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.