Sway bar problems... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Sway bar problems...

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 10-09-2012, 07:22 AM   #1
DeejayZeejay
1994 ZJ 

Sway bar problems...

So, on my 88 Manche(4.0). I was taking my sway bar links off and broke the stud part. The torx bolt part was seized, so I ended up cutting those out. Now for the problem. Driver side frame bolts came out no problem. Passenger side broke both heads off with no effort... Drilled the front one to easy out the remainder with failure. No welded nut in the frame anymore. Went to easy out the rear bolt and broke the easy out....fail.

forumrunner_20121009_092018.jpg

Any advice on the next step is appreciated greatly. I did take it for a drive with the sway bar off. Its driveable....but I do notlike it.

Unread 10-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
97_4popper
1990 MJ Comanche 

Weld it?
Check out comancheclub.com...
My build thread: http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewt...hp?f=7&t=27756
Wifes: 97 TJ 2.5 4X4 5sp 31's stock. . . Slow but; reliable.
97_4popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
DeejayZeejay
1994 ZJ 

Thats what I'm thinking. Maybe take the bumper off and feed in new bolts.... It honestly drives the same without it. Except for bad bumps.
Unread 10-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #4
ftpiercecracker
1990 MJ Comanche 

cut out the section where the nuts were in a nice rectanuglar shape, then take a piece of 1/4in plate or something there abouts cut it to the same size as the piece removed. Transpose the location of where the old nuts where onto the new plate, Drill holes, weld nuts over holes and then weld new plate into place.
or
Do the exact same thing but with the old plate, cut nuts off, weld on new nuts, weld plate back on.

I would only consider welding the bracket to the frame as a last resort, this is an item that wears out and needs replacing on occasion. having to cut welds would not be fun. If its a pure trail rig, then weld that sucker up.
ftpiercecracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.