Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Stock Winch

773 views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  cj7xjmj 
#1 ·
So I am looking through my owners manual the other day and wondering how there could possibly be a more bad *** truck than the comanche. When suddenly I saw a picture that assured me that there cannot be a more bad *** truck. In the back of the manual where it shows the options there is a section refering to a stock winch. This bad boy had a 6k lb pulling capacity and 150' of cable. And the best part is that it was completly hidden behind the bumper. I couldn't find a picture to link, but you should all look it up in your manuals if you haven't seen it before. It looks pretty much stock but sticks out a little more and has a slit in the front with a hook hanging out.

So, has anyone seen one of these? It has become my goal to find one and mount it on my Jeep. I can't believe I don't see them everywhere, I would expect MOST if not all comanches sold to have them. I can't imagine passing up this option if I were looking at a new truck. How could you not get this?

#6 ·
Not too long ago someone had a warn "hidden winch kit" for sale on NAXJA for $265. It looks very similar to what you are talking about and I have been :brickwall since someone got to it before I did.

#7 ·
The factory winch was a Warn in some years and a Ramsey in others. Nothing special about them, just off the shelf 6000 lb'ers. (I think the 150' of cable is a misprint though, as these winches don't hold that much cable.) They might have had a Jeep logo on them, I'm not sure, haven't seen one. The 8274's that used to be offfered as factory options on CJ's had a Jeep logo on them, that was their only difference from a standard 8274.

If you have a set of OEM tow hook brackets, chances are they have the extra holes for mounting the bumper further forward for the winch. I have a set of these brackets on my XJ.

#9 ·
They aren't exactly hidden. The factory winch moved the OEM front bumper forward to make roon for it, too.

#10 ·
a4xnut said:
They aren't exactly hidden. The factory winch moved the OEM front bumper forward to make roon for it, too.
Right, but they are placed behind the bumper. Therefore they are a lot more hidden than one mounted on top of or in front of the bumper and essentially just hanging off teh front end in plain view.

#11 ·
That's right, def. So, instead of just having a winch sick out in the middle of the truck, you've pushed the entire front bumper out there to hose up your approach angles for single tire obstacles.

#12 ·
How far out does it push the front bumper...? Most winch bumpers hose your approach so bad it's pretty much irrelevent. Unless you, heaven forbid, actually thought about that when designing/building your bumper.

I think it's Cooter, on ComancheClub, who has a winch mounted behind his stock bumper, and it didn't appear to move it out any. Don't quote me on that, my memory isn't perfect.

Besides, the stock bumper just bends out of the way whenever you touch it to anything.

#13 ·
The key to having a winch is to have one big enough to pull you out. I have been in situations where my 8000 wasnt enough to get me out, and had to use a snatch block. The stock winch I believe was a 6000. Also if you are worried about your approach angle being hosed get a bigger lift:D I personally use my winch bumber to help move me around on the trail. I know you cant do that with a stock bumper. Making 4 and 4 point turns on the trail suck.

Patrick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.