Still Running Hot..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Still Running Hot.....

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Artec JK Under Armor BellypanEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
TrucksBootsNGun
1988 MJ Comanche 

Still Running Hot.....

Ok so I am still running hot in my '88 MJ 4.0L even after I swapped the radiator for the '92 open design (also swapped heater control valve and made an overflow tank). While I was in there I decided to swap out the thermometer for a new 160* one instead of the stock 195*. I also replaced the water pump and I am still running the pure distilled water from when we tested it for leaks. At highway speeds the thermometer says exactly on 160* but when you are wheeling at lower speeds she runs at about 210* never got it much higher because it was a short trail but i feel like its gonna keep going up. I am slightly worried because living in Flagstaff we need antifreeze which means less water. Did I miss anything when I swapped everything over?

TrucksBootsNGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

210 is normal. A 195* THERMOSTAT should work fine. 160* is too low. You'll be freezing your *** off in the mornings this winter in Flagstaff. The fan clutch is most likely needing replaced.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
TrucksBootsNGun
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
210 is normal. A 195* THERMOSTAT should work fine. 160* is too low. You'll be freezing your *** off in the mornings this winter in Flagstaff. The fan clutch is most likely needing replaced.
The reason this I went with the 160* is I am from SD just going to college in Flagstaff. That 195* was useless in San Diego stop and go traffic. When you say clutch fan you are not referring to the electric fan that kicks on when the A/C does are you? That fan won't kick on because the A/C compressor is bad (I think its the compressor because when the system was charged and the A/C was on there was freon coming through the vents according to a sniffer do-hicky my dad has. there is a big enough leak that it was completely unpressurized in less than 5 mins) The A/C has this weird fail-safe that if the system is out of freon it wont engage the A/C clutch.
TrucksBootsNGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

You'll freeze your balls off in flag with a 160 stat this winter.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fan+...w=1680&bih=806

Unread 09-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
wgirvine
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Three things:
The thermostat regulates the MINIMUM operating temp of the engine. It does not regulate the MAXIMUM temp. When a 160 degree t-stat is open, it flows the same amount of coolant as a 195 degree t-stat when it's open. The max temp of the engine is controlled by the size and efficiency of the radiator. Forcing an engine to run cooler than it was designed to will cause poor gas mileage. And other problems...

The mechanical fan has a viscous coupling, commonly called a fan clutch. It allows the fan to slip a lot (run slowly) when the air coming thru the radiator is cool. It engages and speeds up the fan when the air coming thru the radiator is hot. Overheating at low speeds (low air flow conditions) such as stop-and-go traffic is usually caused by a bad fan clutch. Replace. They don't last forever, anyway. Make sure you get the one with the funny little flat coil spring in the front.

And the electric fan comes when (1) the AC is turned on, OR (2) when the coolant gets hot... around 215, I think. You need to get that fan fixed also.
Unread 09-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgirvine View Post
Three things:
The thermostat regulates the MINIMUM operating temp of the engine. It does not regulate the MAXIMUM temp. When a 160 degree t-stat is open, it flows the same amount of coolant as a 195 degree t-stat when it's open. The max temp of the engine is controlled by the size and efficiency of the radiator. Forcing an engine to run cooler than it was designed to will cause poor gas mileage. And other problems...

The mechanical fan has a viscous coupling, commonly called a fan clutch. It allows the fan to slip a lot (run slowly) when the air coming thru the radiator is cool. It engages and speeds up the fan when the air coming thru the radiator is hot. Overheating at low speeds (low air flow conditions) such as stop-and-go traffic is usually caused by a bad fan clutch. Replace. They don't last forever, anyway. Make sure you get the one with the funny little flat coil spring in the front.

And the electric fan comes when (1) the AC is turned on, OR (2) when the coolant gets hot... around 215, I think. You need to get that fan fixed also.
208* or 218*.

Unread 09-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

195 or 180 stat, 50% antifreeze, check the waterpump blades (mine were chewed up by the spring from the bottom hose!), loosen the temp sender to burp the head "air bubble" and add a bottle of Water Wetter from Redline (or similar like Purple Ice or Amsoil cooling booster)

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.