Steering wheel play - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Steering wheel play

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-25-2014, 08:38 PM   #1
HadawayBoy89
1989 MJ Comanche 

Steering wheel play

I have a 1989 jeep Comanche pioneer and there is like 3-4 inches of play in the steering. where should i look first and or how do i go about on fixing this?

HadawayBoy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2014, 05:33 PM   #2
mopar_monkey

I just had the same issue with my 92 mj. Mine ended up being a worn steering box. What you need to do is crawl under it while someone moves the steering wheel back and forth so uou can pinpoint where all the movement is (what is worn and sloppy).
mopar_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2014, 10:17 PM   #3
juicy
1986 MJ Comanche 

Youll get used to it lol kinda nice the more ya drive it
juicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2014, 06:40 AM   #4
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

The box has an adjustment screw on it, you can use it to remove the slack from the worm screw/drive gear in the box.
Assuming you do not have other issues like bad tie rod ends etc.
3-4' seems to much to be just a box though.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.