Starting troubles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Starting troubles

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 05-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
djdr1988

Starting troubles

89 Jeep Comanche, i just replaced the distributor in my truck, it has the 4.0 L.
When i start it, it runs extremely rough at low rpms for a minute then dies. I have tried moving the wires on the cap and resetting the computer, but nothing seems to work. Anyone have any idea?

djdr1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #2
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

ECU doesn't reset. Timing can't be adjusted with the distributor.

Time to do a few things. First off, make sure your distributor is indexed correctly. see #13.
Make sure your intake manifold bolts aren't loose. How old are the plugs, wires, cap and rotor?

Clean your throttle body.

Courtesy of TJWalker:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Idle Air Control (IAC) is mounted on the back of the throttle body. (front for 87-90) The valve controls the idle speed of the engine by controlling the amount of air flowing through the air control passage. It consists of a stepper motor that moves a pintle shaped plunger in and out of the air control passage. When the valve plunger is moved in, the air control passage flows more air which raises the idle speed. When the valve plunger is moved out, the air control passage flows less air which lowers the idle speed. Over time and miles, the IAC can get carboned up which can have an adverse affect on idle quality. Cleaning the IAC may restore proper function and is an easy procedure to perform and good preventive maintenance so it is never a bad idea.

CLEANING THE JEEP 4.0 IDLE AIR CONTROL

Remove the air filter cover, associated hoses and the rubber boot that goes from the air filter cover to the throttle body. Remove the IAC with a torx driver (2 bolts; one can be kind of hard to get to)

“Gently” wiggle out the IAC from the throttle body. Gasket on the IAC can be re-used if it is not damaged

Clean the IAC with a spray can of throttle body cleaner; inexpensive and available at any place that sells auto parts. Throttle body cleaner is recommended rather than carburetor cleaner as it is less harsh, safe for throttle body coatings and is best for this task. Use cleaner, a rag and a toothbrush and or Q-Tips. Be gentle; don’t twist or pull on the pintle that protrudes from the IAC as it is fragile and you could damage it.

Thoroughly spray clean and flush where the IAC seats in the throttle body with the same spray cleaner

It is also a good idea to clean the entire throttle body itself, the butterfly valve inside of the throttle body and all associated linkage as long as you have things disassembled

Do 1,2,3, and 4, along with 13 in the folowing link. Cheap and easy.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cru...x-tips-153657/

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
djdr1988

I have set the distributor correctly and it still does the same thing. I replaced the plugs, cap, and rotor with the distributor. The wires are only a few months old
Unread 05-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

How about the tips, and cleaning the throttle body?

My Jeep Technical Photos

Unread 05-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
djdr1988

Im waiting for a throttle body gasket. I have checked grounds and cleaned connections. It ran before i put this didtributor in. I replaced it because thebold one was full of oil under the cap and it had a long start issue i have been trying to figure out
Unread 05-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdr1988 View Post
Im waiting for a throttle body gasket. I have checked grounds and cleaned connections. It ran before i put this didtributor in. I replaced it because thebold one was full of oil under the cap and it had a long start issue i have been trying to figure out
On a Renix it's easy to clean the TB withut removal. The IAC comes off easily.
HOs on the other hand are easier to do by removing them.

My Jeep Technical Photos

Unread 05-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #7
djdr1988

Its not an HO. I just spray throttle body cleaner into where the iac goes?
Unread 05-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #8
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdr1988 View Post
Its not an HO. I just spray throttle body cleaner into where the iac goes?
Courtesy of TJWalker:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Idle Air Control (IAC) is mounted on the back of the throttle body. (front for 87-90) The valve controls the idle speed of the engine by controlling the amount of air flowing through the air control passage. It consists of a stepper motor that moves a pintle shaped plunger in and out of the air control passage. When the valve plunger is moved in, the air control passage flows more air which raises the idle speed. When the valve plunger is moved out, the air control passage flows less air which lowers the idle speed. Over time and miles, the IAC can get carboned up which can have an adverse affect on idle quality. Cleaning the IAC may restore proper function and is an easy procedure to perform and good preventive maintenance so it is never a bad idea.

CLEANING THE JEEP 4.0 IDLE AIR CONTROL

Remove the air filter cover, associated hoses and the rubber boot that goes from the air filter cover to the throttle body. Remove the IAC with a torx driver (2 bolts; one can be kind of hard to get to)

“Gently” wiggle out the IAC from the throttle body. Gasket on the IAC can be re-used if it is not damaged

Clean the IAC with a spray can of throttle body cleaner; inexpensive and available at any place that sells auto parts. Throttle body cleaner is recommended rather than carburetor cleaner as it is less harsh, safe for throttle body coatings and is best for this task. Use cleaner, a rag and a toothbrush and or Q-Tips. Be gentle; don’t twist or pull on the pintle that protrudes from the IAC as it is fragile and you could damage it.

Thoroughly spray clean and flush where the IAC seats in the throttle body with the same spray cleaner

It is also a good idea to clean the entire throttle body itself, the butterfly valve inside of the throttle body and all associated linkage as long as you have things disassembled

My Jeep Technical Photos

Unread 05-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #9
djdr1988

I got it running again. I had to pull the distributor back out and turn the engine 360 degrees and line up the oil pump for it to sit at the right timing
Unread 05-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #10
djdr1988

Thanks for all your help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.