Spark? CPS? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Spark? CPS?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 10-08-2007, 09:12 AM   #1
maddmatt

Spark? CPS?

Hello all,

My Comanche will turn over when i'm trying to start it but it will not fire up. Like it is not getting any spark. I read a few articles that you guys have posted about the crank positioning sensor, where is it located at and what does it look like? a pic would be great! Also what else should I be checking for? I have a good battery ,new plugs ,wires , cap and rotor.

Thanks,
Matt

maddmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2007, 09:14 AM   #2
maddmatt

It is a 1987 Jeep Comanche 4x4 with a 2.5 litter 4 cylinder.
Unread 10-08-2007, 11:02 AM   #3
Pete M
1988 MJ Comanche 

Sorry for the bad pic, but it's all I had on the 'puter. The top one is a 2.5L.

This is a clearer shot of a 4.0L CPS, but the CPS is in a similar location on the drivers side of the bellhousing.
My email: petermontie@hotmail.com
ComancheClub.com/forums
Pete M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2007, 05:25 PM   #4
maddmatt

Thanks for the help!! that is exactly what I was hopeing for, now I know what and where the CPS is.
Unread 10-10-2007, 05:32 PM   #5
Comanche5L

Hey, if you have a hanes manual and a tester you can check the CPS before you replace it! might save a lot of work and those are not cheap. the easiest way i found was to drop/lower the tranny/tcase mount, and disengage the 4x4 linkage. then you can easily get to the two bolts. saves a lot of headaches and about a mile in extensions =P
Comanche5L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2007, 11:00 AM   #6
maddmatt

I replaced the CPS and still no spark> I'm starting to hate this truck!
Unread 10-24-2007, 10:12 PM   #7
96JXJ

Have you checked the coil? Getting any spark from it? JIM.
Unread 10-25-2007, 10:07 PM   #8
COMANCHE4X4
1989 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmatt
Hello all,

My Comanche will turn over when i'm trying to start it but it will not fire up. Like it is not getting any spark. I read a few articles that you guys have posted about the crank positioning sensor, where is it located at and what does it look like? a pic would be great! Also what else should I be checking for? I have a good battery ,new plugs ,wires , cap and rotor.

Thanks,
Matt

You say "like its not getting any spark" did you actually test for spark, ?
maybe it was never tuned up?
could be a bad dist cap or rotor,bad coil wire or coil, broken wire. Could be you have spark and no gas, do you have gas in the tank? Are you getting the correct fuel pressure at the TB?

you need to start testing parts not just guessing the problem.
That would be you’re first things to test.
Get a repair book to help you troubleshoot and go through the steps and you will gain knowledge. Just turning the key and guessing what the problems will not do you any good. You have to test things and find the problem.
As suggested by others you need to test parts to determine if they are functioning or not before you start replacing parts that my be good, get a book to help you understand what to test and how to test and what tool to use.
Start there and work your way through.
COMANCHE4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2007, 02:52 AM   #9
mca1977jpsnet

Here are some common problems. CPS, Crank (on bell housing), Cam Pos. sensor (in distributor), Coil, or Coil module (sits under coil). Chilton, Haynes, or Mitchell on demand should have testing specs.
mca1977jpsnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2007, 11:26 PM   #10
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

Someone sold me the wrong CPS when I had my '86 on the road. Old one worked and new one didn't! Could also be the computer died.
carnuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 05:23 PM   #11
ddbrown
1997 TJ Wrangler 

A bad coil. mine had spark, that's when I bought a cps to no avail. the spark wasn't enough to start it.
even if it isn't you'll have a spare.
Good luck.
Dale B.
ddbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2008, 03:07 PM   #12
phillip08
1987 XJ Cherokee 

I'm having the same problem with my 1987 Cherokee Jeep. The engine turns but does not crank. (Has brand new battery, plugs and plug wires). Our next door neighbor sometime mechanic says it's the coil, because there is NO spark? Should I go ahead and let him replace the coil? He's also not sure about this cranking sensor? Will this sensor prevent the coil and distributor from getting any spark? I just don't want to start spending lots of money on different parts. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
phillip08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2008, 12:23 AM   #13
96JXJ

Yes, the if the CPS is bad you will not get any spark from the coil. JIM.
Unread 05-23-2008, 09:53 PM   #14
phillip08
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Jim. Our next door "cheap" mechanic went ahead replaced the ignition coil and the Jeep still won't crank? He says now that it's probably the distributor that needs to be replaced? Apparently he is not familiar with the crankshaft position sensor?

He is an excellent mechanic, except whenever it comes to electrical problems. He says the new coil is putting out spark, but not enough to turn the distributor. Does this make any sense to you? Do you think I should go ahead and let him replace the distributor? Or at this point let somebody else replace the crankshaft sensor?

Or should I just have it towed to a garage and let the "experts" do all the testing to pinpoint the exact problem?

Thanks for help.
phillip08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2008, 03:22 PM   #15
Pete M
1988 MJ Comanche 

Electrical stuff isn't my area of expertise, but I promise someone at the comancheclub.com/forums would be able to give you more info. I'm still leaning to a bad CPS. Also, it's certainly possible for a non-mechanic to replace the CPS.
Jeep on!
--Pete
My email: petermontie@hotmail.com
ComancheClub.com/forums
Pete M is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.