So I did it again.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > So I did it again....

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-11-2008, 12:44 AM   #1
Guumba
1998 ZJ 

So I did it again....

So after a long absence, the MJ has finally landed itself in my driveway. Picked up a 1988 MJ "SporTruck". Only $800, not too bad of shape. Worst is the paint fade hah. However, right off the bat I am having a minor, what seems like, fuel issue. The thing is, if I turn the key to ON, the fuel pump hums like normal, crank it, fires up only if I give it a bit of gas. Now, okay not a big deal right? If I don't get it started on that "first crank" so to speak, the truck will NOT start. I sit there with the starter going, crank after crank, no go. I take off the air box hose, put a screw driver in the throttle body butterfly valve, and it starts fairly quick. I replaced the fuel filter thinking that might be clogged, no such luck. The little guy also stalled out on me twice, once sitting at a stop light, and one time I killed it with the clutch accidentally, and boy did it take some serious cranking to get it started again. Could something be wrong with my fuel pump? Any ideas to start me off with?

Thanks guys!
Chris Threlkeld

Black inside and out.
5.2 Litres of gas guzzling power.
** TOTALED! UGH! **
Guumba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2008, 01:13 AM   #2
cheepjeep96
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like the Idle air control, or whatever it is. I had a 96 XJ that would run, give it gas it would die, or it wouldn't start unless the pedal was to the floor, and also it wouldn't idle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy
If you only have the 1 clutch however, I'd suggest keeping it if you expect to move by anything other than 1. gravity or 2. transcontinental drift. Both are time tested to work, but you might not get exactly where you want to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapfix View Post
Scanner? You don't even have doors... :p
cheepjeep96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2008, 05:18 PM   #3
rworks

2nd the idle air controller. Little doohickey on the throttle body next to the tps. Do a quick search on the forum for "idle air controller" and "throttle position sensor" and you'll find lots of info to help you out.
rworks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2008, 06:26 PM   #4
Guumba
1998 ZJ 

Well I have been poking around on the car today and it turned out the EGR valve (I think that's what it was) was bad. The valve on the intake manifold. The guy bought 2 of them and didnt know why and it was a problem. So I took it off put a new one in and it started real quick. Hasnt stalled yet either.

Another problem has arose today. The vacuum disconnect on the front axle is disconnected and I don't have
a diagram for the vacuum system anymore. Anyone have a quick link to a vacuum diagram?

Thanks a lot!
Chris Threlkeld
Black inside and out.
5.2 Litres of gas guzzling power.
** TOTALED! UGH! **
Guumba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2008, 10:44 PM   #5
maddzz
1989 MJ Comanche 

Go over to comancheclub.com and search for the vacuum diagram
maddzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.