• 2 Post By Motorcharge

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 08-17-2017, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
cKruzer
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
School Me on Manche's

Now that I've completed my YJ build. Time for a truck. And I'm thinking a manche is the ticket.

What what should I look for? What's the best options? I would want the AX15. Don't care on the Tcase as I would swap in what I wanted. Would want the 4.0.

Is there long vs short bed options? What axles come stock?

I would love to update the interior with an XJ interior

What price should I look at paying typically?

Thanks!!!

1987 Frankenstein Street Queen.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Target: 5.3L; AX15; NP231; D44/D60; 4.88s; 36s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

הָיָה הָיָה הָיָה
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-17-2017, 08:19 PM
Nick05
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Price varies by location. Axles are different from xj's in the back but some came with d44's. If you can only find a 2wd, the conversion is fairly simple. As far as ax15, i think that was only 91 and/or 92 stock but once again, the swap is pretty straight forward. The biggest problem with an mj is rust(pull carpet, they rust there), gas tanks(sending unit is obsolete), taillights are the price of gold. The early years(84 to 86) do not have a 4.0, 87 to 90 have renix era problems(google cruisers renix tips), 91 and 92 4.0's are h.o. so donor motors are plenty.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-12-2017, 08:05 AM
Motorcharge

I wouldn't sweat over Renix. Only a handful of MJs were even produced in 91 and 92 and an HO swap doesn't take much if you really want to go that route though 350 swaps are just as cheap and LS swaps have gotten pretty cheap as well.
Yes, there are short and long beds, both wheel bases are significantly longer than XJs. Only single cabs. From the cab forward MJs are 90% the same as XJs, but the floor pans are different and the uniframe has some extra bracing that XJs don't have. As for the interior, bucket seats are the same seats as XJs but they have different mounting points and brackets. Only MJ seats are a direct swap. Other than that though the dash, center consoles, shift consoles, ect, ect are all the exact same.

Axles are the same as XJs down the years, the only difference is the leaf spring and shock brackets are different. MJs are spring under, XJs are spring over and they're mounted at different widths. Dana 44s only came in a handful of Renix years and are basically unicorns. 8.8 swaps are cheap, stronger, and you get disk brakes.

Pricing varies wildly by area, but in NC, VA, SC, ect expect $1-1500 minimum for a running 2wd. Don't be surprised at double that. MJs are highly sought after, they're already rare, and they're just getting harder to find. They rot and rust the same places as XJs. Floor pans and rockers. Beds are easy to swap if they rot out or anything, they bolt on like any other truck bed. And yeah, tail lights are stupid expensive and no one makes aftermarket replacements. Closest you can get is Dakota lights and they take some sheet metal work to fill in gaps, though nothing crazy. My biggest suggestion is to lurk the classifieds on Jeep sites and especially over at Comanche Club. I got lucky as **** a couple years ago there with mine and found a guy about to scrap a 91 4x4 Eliminator, short bed, loaded options and rust free. He was in the mountains outside Ashville and couldn't get anyone to bite locally and couldn't get anyone on CC to come up to the mountains. I drove my truck down there sick as a dog and could have driven that MJ home if I'd wanted but ended up renting a uhaul trailer. Only paid $1500, would have paid triple that for it.

If you end up finding one take a look through my old build thread for advice and feel free to PM me with any questions. Lifting an MJ is a totally different animal than an XJ and there's **** I would have done different after basing what I did off XJ experience.
chris87xj and cKruzer like this.

|
|
|SOLD|
| June 2015 COTM |

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.