replacing ccv system hose fitting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > replacing ccv system hose fitting

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 06-25-2005, 07:27 PM   #1
paulda

replacing ccv system hose fitting

went to the dealership today and bought 3 hoses for a total of $103.00
well one piece I purchased was the Crankcase Ventiliation system hose and fitting. I'm trying to replace the fitting and cannot get the fitting in, because it is much bigger in proportion to the hole. any ideas?

1990 jeep comanche sport truck

Last edited by paulda; 06-26-2005 at 06:32 PM..
paulda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2005, 08:43 PM   #2
DirtyCommanche
Web Wheeler

That's a little devil, I had to ask my friendly neighbourhood mechanic how when I did mine. He said to take a flat head screwdriver and use it to push the flang in and work your way around. Very easy once you do it that way.
DirtyCommanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2005, 10:22 PM   #3
Ed in North Ga
1989 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulda
went to the dealership today and bought 3 hoses for a total of $103.00
well one piece I purchased was the Crankcase Ventiliation system hose and fitting. I'm trying to replace the fitting and cannot get the fitting in, because it is much bigger in proportion to the hole. any ideas?

heres a pic: http://home.comcast.net/~strzelec.pl/MVC-007F.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~strzelec.pl/MVC-008F.JPG

1990 jeep comanche sport truck
pssssstttt...i`ll tell you a few secrets, but you cant tell anyone else.
#1- the CCV harness, in all its glory, is available through NAPA at a greatly reduced price-if you know where to look-its in their master catalogue, not online, not in the computers-but in the paperback catalogue.

#2-the friendly people at the jeep dealership parts department have a way of selling you something, that actually, you could have gotten for free-had you known a very little juicy tidbit. The dealership parts departments love to do this- they`ll gladly sell you a part thats under recall, then claim you should have told THEM it was a recall part...when it should be the other way around. Basicly, you have to tell them its a part under recall before the process can begin.

TSB-emmision recall-#562. CCV harness and 02 sensor.

unless your on your second one, jeep has one for you for free- AND, they`ll install it free as well. Remember, thats only if you havent replaced it once already- call jeep dealership, have them run the VIN and find out IF someone before you has had the recall done already-if not, FREE PARTS!
Unread 06-26-2005, 04:52 PM   #4
paulda

You are right, neighbors are a good thing, I had him come over and after some grease and sweat he was able to get the fitting in.
Ed, thanks for the info

Question, there is suppose to be air flowing in the CCV hose from the air cleaner to the rocker arm cover? I checked and there seems to be no air flow

Last edited by paulda; 06-26-2005 at 06:32 PM..
Unread 06-26-2005, 06:34 PM   #5
Ed in North Ga
1989 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulda
You are right, neighbors are a good thing, I had him come over and after some grease and sweat he was able to get the fitting in.
Ed, do you have more information about this recall?

Question, there is suppose to be air flowing in the CCV hose from the air cleaner to the rocker arm cover? I checked and there seems to be no air flow
no-its just your standard recall- I "paid" for mine before I found out that I should have gotten it for free...so, I got one free one comeing to me when this one fails. The "catch" is, if you do recall work, they have to install-they cant just give it to you-least that was the way it was explained to me....left that out, sorry.

I didnt see any difference between the two-- they "say" that the inside diameter is larger on the new one...if it is, its not that much bigger to my eye. The biggie problem with them is at the valve cover side- it plugs up with carbon...easy fix is weedeater string (0.90) and a bit of wd-40--- spray it in, ream it out. If its clogged, you get driveability problems, and a weird idle thats not stable...it wobbles.

air from the air cleaner to the rocker?...no- from the rocker to the air cleaner, yes- thats the way the vacuume go`s, when the bimetal sensor in the air cleaner is open-closed theres nothing. The same sensor "kinda" regulates the backside of the EGR solinoid-thats the other vac line on the airbox-....theres a gremlin that lives in there, so sometimes it works, sometimes it wont....beware the gremlin.
Unread 06-26-2005, 07:02 PM   #6
paulda

The reason I thought that air came from the air cleaner is what my manual says:
"A fresh air supply hose from the air cleaner is connected to the top rear of the cover. When the engine is operating, fresh air enters the engine and mixes with the crankcases vapors. Manifold vacuum draws the vapor/air mixture through the metered orifice and into the intake manifold."

When I replaced the first hose, which was the thin one to the intake manifold fitting, it ran and idled much smoother than before. Then when I replaced the cracked/borken CCV hoses connected to the air cleaner it runs more rough. It was nice to have it finally running smooth and when I replaced that second part it doesn't anymore, and that dang muffler rattles again.
Unread 06-26-2005, 07:18 PM   #7
paulda

well i just took it out again and i guess it wasn't running that bad...i just thought it ran smoother before i put that other hose in...and the rattling is stillt here
Unread 06-27-2005, 07:46 AM   #8
cj7xjmj

Just FYI, if you rmove the back CCV hose on your valve cover, and replace it with a PCV grommet and PCV valve from a 85 cj7, you can run 3/8 fuel line to where it connects to the intake, and replace that with, a 3/8 air chuck. Problem solved. Costs under 20 bucks, and works like a champ.

Patrick
If you have to ask why... Its a truggy thing and you wouldn't understand
cj7xjmj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2009, 07:52 AM   #9
zacharyt

Fresh Air Inlet Hose 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in North Ga View Post
no-its just your standard recall- I "paid" for mine before I found out that I should have gotten it for free...so, I got one free one comeing to me when this one fails. The "catch" is, if you do recall work, they have to install-they cant just give it to you-least that was the way it was explained to me....left that out, sorry.

I didnt see any difference between the two-- they "say" that the inside diameter is larger on the new one...if it is, its not that much bigger to my eye. The biggie problem with them is at the valve cover side- it plugs up with carbon...easy fix is weedeater string (0.90) and a bit of wd-40--- spray it in, ream it out. If its clogged, you get driveability problems, and a weird idle thats not stable...it wobbles.

air from the air cleaner to the rocker?...no- from the rocker to the air cleaner, yes- thats the way the vacuume go`s, when the bimetal sensor in the air cleaner is open-closed theres nothing. The same sensor "kinda" regulates the backside of the EGR solinoid-thats the other vac line on the airbox-....theres a gremlin that lives in there, so sometimes it works, sometimes it wont....beware the gremlin.
Ed,

I must admit that I am confused also about the airflow. The hose that goes to the front of the rocker arm cover is identified as a fresh air inlet hose from things I have read in the Haynes manual also. I know this post is several years old, but I am reading all of these older posts in an effort to keep oil out of my air cleaner as well. Trying to keep my 88 going for a couple more years.

Also, weedeater line run through the small ccv hosing to get it unclogged = GOLDEN!
zacharyt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2009, 07:32 PM   #10
Skimboarder
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Ooops nvm...
Skimboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2010, 08:44 AM   #11
talentjeep
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7xjmj View Post
Just FYI, if you rmove the back CCV hose on your valve cover, and replace it with a PCV grommet and PCV valve from a 85 cj7, you can run 3/8 fuel line to where it connects to the intake, and replace that with, a 3/8 air chuck. Problem solved. Costs under 20 bucks, and works like a champ.

Patrick
I know this is an old thread. Has anyone done this? Does it work?
Unread 01-23-2010, 11:29 AM   #12
Sukebe
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentjeep View Post
I know this is an old thread. Has anyone done this? Does it work?
Here is one guys solution. I think I am going to try it. I am still searching for others who have utilized this fix successfully.

Funny thing is, NAPA part number for 85 CJ7 PCV is the same as the part they list for my 88 XJ Limited... guess I'll have to go down and actually take a look at the part.

Last edited by Sukebe; 12-27-2010 at 02:05 AM..
Sukebe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2010, 04:07 PM   #13
blk88
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Here's how I fixed it on my '88 XJ a year and a half ago and no problems.

Blow-By
Envalve
En-Valve, The SMART PCV Valve.
blk88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.