Renix to HO swap - Fuel lines - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Renix to HO swap - Fuel lines

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 10-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
kbrawlz
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Renix to HO swap - Fuel lines

for those of you doing the H.O. head swap on your 4.0 renix or maybe the 4.2L for the xjs and mjs....

i wanted to have a clean looking install for the fuel lines, so i kept the nylon quick connect lines from HO donor vehicle, mocked them in place, cut the hard lines, and crimped the flare.

some shops have the flaring tool so ask around. napa sells it, but the whole kit is ~$400. you can find the kits used on forums though.

now if i ever have a problem with the fuel line, i can replace it with one from the wrecking yard off a HO donor.

some of you might not want to use compression fittings and have it look cleaner and service easier. so, i thought i'd share what i did. i don't know if anybody else has done it, but i've never seen a post or heard about it.

thanks, good luck.

Renix to HO - custom flare fuel lines 1 by kbrawlz, on Flickr

Renix to HO - custom flare fuel lines 2 by kbrawlz, on Flickr

Renix to HO - custom flare fuel lines 3 by kbrawlz, on Flickr

Renix to HO - custom flare fuel lines 5 by kbrawlz, on Flickr

Unread 10-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
ftpiercecracker
1990 MJ Comanche 

Thanks a lot kbrawlz! This something i have been racking my brain over for a while now. I am not doing an HO swap but i will need to know how to do this because my stroker will be using all the bolt on performance adders. I dont understand fully exactly what and or how you did what you did. do you think you could write up a little more detailed 'how to'? If i understood correctly, the 'specialty' part of all this was that little collar section of the fuel line. Is that right? Are those collars the only thing needed to make the HO lines adapt to the Renix lines?

thanks, ftpiercecracker
ftpiercecracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
kbrawlz
1995 YJ Wrangler 

yeah. they use the same size hard fuel line. there is a crimping/flaring tool that is used. kinda like when you put a double flare on a brake line, only this one does the flare (looks like a collar about an inch up the line) for fuel and tranny lines.

Mastercool makes the good one (71200 ~$200 / 71300 or 71475 kit ~$300):
http://www.mastercool.com/pages/flaring_tools.html

Funny. Walmart sold a push connect flare kit made by Wayfair. ~$200
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mastercool...Lever/15753539

Napa Auto Parts sells theirs under part #78-3200 on sale for about $325

There was a guy selling his on Pirate4x4 for $225 so keep your eyes open if you want one.

Push connect crimping demo video:

Flares done with MasterCool Hydra-Flare kit by kbrawlz, on Flickr
Unread 10-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
kbrawlz
1995 YJ Wrangler 

but if you call your local shops to ask if they do it. make sure they understand you are not looking for a double flare or a bubble flare. cause they are idiots and will tell you yes. then you drive all the way down and they say that there is no way to even make that flare. ... what!? well how did my sample piece get the flare on it... they are dumb. tell them it is "push connect flare" like on some fuel rails, fuel pumps and fuel filters. it helps to bring a sample flare or photo.
Unread 10-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #5
ftpiercecracker
1990 MJ Comanche 

thanks for the information,

I will look into this but i kinda doubt I will be able to do this method. I remember you mentioning something about using pressure fittings, do you know any more about this method? Or do you know if i can just snatch the complete lines out of an HO and use them??

thanks kbrawlz
ftpiercecracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.