Rear axle pinion angle question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Rear axle pinion angle question

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 10-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
dkroll
1989 MJ Comanche 

Rear axle pinion angle question

Hello,
I am looking for information on setting my pinion angle for my rear axle.
88 shortbed 4x4.
6 inch schackles
Spring over on a 1996 Ford 8.8
On front; Rusty's 8 inch long arm with G2 front axle.

I am hearing two different stories;
one, the pinion angle needs to be set ONLY for this Ford axle- i.e.. set to a specific angle for lube to get to the pinion bearings.
two, the angle is set per the amount of lift and splitting the angles which both u-joints are in to minimize vibration.

I am confused as to what I need to do to to minimize lube issues and/or vibration issues when considering getting the perches welded in place.

Any information on what I need to consider before I move on with this would be great.

Thank you!

Unread 10-21-2013, 11:05 PM   #2
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

If the trans is parallel, then the pinion gear needs to be parallel too. 2 different angles cause vibe issues. I did SOA rear with Metric Tonne springs and the D35 so far. If I changed anything, I would tilt the pinion at the tcase and go with a double cardan (double Ujoint) shaft. Cardan goes to the trans end. Might require a high angle shaft. Mine has been fine for 3 years level to level with new joints (old joints will self destruct in no time)

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
dkroll
1989 MJ Comanche 

Thank you.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.