quick question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > quick question

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 05-24-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
toke
I_R_Food

1995 YJ Wrangler 

quick question

ok my buddy is looking at a 88 MJ
I looked it over for about 15 minutes and my observations are as follows
no visible rust, body straight owner says new 4.0 but I'm guessing rebuilt and it runs and drives
newer tires I'm guessing (didnt look) 31's with stock 5 spoke rims
maybe a slight lift sits nice (aggressive looking)
automatic trans, less than perfect interior , bed looks good not alot of dings and scrapes been here in the desert for the last 20 years
4x4 works
overall "looks" a tad better than average

now to the question

is $1000.00 to much .... too little?
I mean its basically a XJ right?
dont know if I'd pay 1K for a 88 XJ

2001 Grand RIP

2004 Rubicon RIP
toke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2008, 05:35 PM   #2
maddzz
1989 MJ Comanche 

What rear end does it have? probally d35 but could be d44. How many miles? If it is rust free and and the 4WD works I dont think $1G sounds to bad.
maddzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2008, 05:38 PM   #3
SoloCamo
1988 MJ Comanche 

If the rust is minimal, and it's in good running condition with a rebuilt motor, 1k is more than reasonable.

When I finally found my '88 MJ 4.0, AW-4 auto, 2wd with 123k on the clock, the guy wanted $1,500 for it. I talked him down to 1,000 but I had to drop easily 2k in repairs (cooling system redone, exhaust rusted out, etc.) to get it into good running condition for daily driver use. It is 99% rust free as it's been in florida it's whole life, though.

___
Anyways!

So if it's in good shape, and running condition I'd consider 1k a steal for an 4x4 MJ in that shape. You've got to keep in mind, MJ's are built tougher than XJ's, can haul things better, and are much rarer. Not to mention, IMO look a lot more badass~ I'm on my second, and would love to get another
Tires: Firestone "Firehawk Indy 500" 235/70/15's
SoloCamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2008, 06:11 PM   #4
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yah, Thats pretty good! Interior stuff can be cleaned and replaced...Most in the condition you describe are $1500-$2500 in my area!
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
SoloCamo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2 View Post
Yah, Thats pretty good! Interior stuff can be cleaned and replaced...Most in the condition you describe are $1500-$2500 in my area!
you're lucky....Comanches go for well above than around here in any sort of decent shape.

Took me a few months just to find one in decent shape....

But I'm more than happy with it now! I'll stick with this comanche until I die~
Unread 05-24-2008, 09:20 PM   #6
jeepicon-com

Comanches are one of those cars that are worth what you can get.... some trucks sell for 1500, but a different day only 600. I guess you should check KBB.com and see what its worth, then decide what its worth to you (or your buddy in this case). Sounds like a nice truck, get some pics up if you can.
Unread 05-25-2008, 08:34 PM   #7
toke
I_R_Food

1995 YJ Wrangler 

phone pics

ok I think we are going out tomorrow as well I'll take the cam with me and try to get some better shots but for now

05-25-08_1619.jpg

05-25-08_1620.jpg

05-25-08_1621.jpg

05-25-08_1622.jpg

these were taken on the flats just east of the exit of Mule Canyon in Calico

2001 Grand RIP

2004 Rubicon RIP
Unread 05-26-2008, 01:29 AM   #8
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepMJ-com View Post
Comanches are one of those cars that are worth what you can get.... some trucks sell for 1500, but a different day only 600. I guess you should check KBB.com and see what its worth, then decide what its worth to you (or your buddy in this case). Sounds like a nice truck, get some pics up if you can.
KBB is worthless for all the ones I looked at... either way high, or way low...People keep posting them as "RARE' on Craigslist and Ebay, but you can often find people that don't know what they have, or just want it gone... It varys a great deal by location. In my area (California) rust ins't an issue, but anywhere with snow/ice/salt, getting one rust free is crazy hard...
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2008, 01:38 AM   #9
Mr_Random
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Looks nice, beefy, and clean (well, in terms of body damage, the sand just makes it look better!)

I want one so bad...
I live with in an hour of the coast so getting sea foam is easy, but isnt the salt bad for the fuel system??? and how about the people that live farther away can you just foam up water and sea salt ??? if so what kind of mix do I use ??? 1table spoon to a gal of water??? and then how do I "foam it up" mabe a little soap????
Jeepus buildicus:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/86-xj-w-mpi-budget-re-build-757079/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm View Post
Using pure N2 is a total waste of money considering you can get 78% nitrogen for free.
Mr_Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2008, 02:32 AM   #10
Abstruse
2000 WJ 

Just to help you get a gauge. I have an 86 2.5l 4 cyl (awesome gas mileage) Comanche that's been converted to leaf over in the rear, 6" RE lift kit, 35" Mickey Thompson Tires and Wheels. Regeared to gain max potential in 4 low (sacrificed top end highway speeds). Body is in good shape, 0 rust (its always lived in the desert), paint is well sun faded. The entire cooling system from end to end has been replaced (desert precaution), interior is ok, no holes or anything like that. Engine runs good, always starts, never left me walking, probably could use a top end rebuild. Windshield is cracked in the center from a rock and should be replaced. Its 100% off road ready and used for such, I drive it on the Rubicon trail and it does great, but I'm thinking I'm ready to get a non street legal rock crawler Jeep project next and just can't keep hanging onto additional vehicles (storage is a premium for me).

I've been thinking about selling it for (asking) $1500, but holding firm at $1200 (if offered). Tires and wheels alone on it were $1600, the lift kit (pro installed) was that much as well.

For a start over from scratch, completely stock, not (real) lifted, no serious tires MJ, I don't think I'd pay over $600, maybe $800. The lift kit and real tires are whats going to cost your friend the money to make this off road worthy. To buy one still stock he's easily looking at a $4,000 total investment if he gets the truck for $1,000.
Abstruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2008, 08:31 PM   #11
toke
I_R_Food

1995 YJ Wrangler 

ok heres a link to more pics

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...lbumId=2048831

and a vid

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fusea...deoid=35617993

2001 Grand RIP

2004 Rubicon RIP

Last edited by toke; 06-05-2008 at 08:41 PM..
Unread 06-07-2008, 04:23 AM   #12
Abstruse
2000 WJ 

I'd be embarrassed to show that video, you got stuck on basically a flat dirt road and had tires spinning?

That wasn't even off road, that was a dirt road?

This is exactly that $4000 I'm telling you that will have to be put into the thing. Lift, tires, gear ratio, weld the axles.

It makes all the difference, I can drop mine in 4 low and probably climb straight up a concrete wall.

Tires are a big deal though, I remember when I first got mine, it still was all stock, had street tires on it, hey, I had 4 wheel drive though, thought I'd take it off roading a little. Oh my, I look back now and see how funny that was, wasn't funny at the time though.

I went a good 5 miles out over some (now looking back) small rocks and thought I was pushing it. I thought the trail I was on would take me to a real street and I'd be saved. Just one very steep downhill to get there and I'd be out from being in over my head. No such luck, the developers blocked off the trail from the road and I had to go back up the steep down grade.

I spun both left tiers off the rim trying to get back up that hill, but did finally make it, got to the top and discovered I had one spare, but no jack (yea stupid lesson learned, first week in my new jeep though). I already had my new 35" tires and rims ordered and due in the next day, so no way I was buying new tires just to get out of there. I drove back that 5 miles over rocks on the stock Jeep rims on the left side. 1000 feet short of being out of there I blew the front right tire.

Got back to the road and parked it there on two chewed up rims, one flat tire and one good tire still. Had the GF come pick me up. Went back the next day with my new tires and wheels and have never been stuck or in any situation it didn't just go right through again and that was 3 or 4 years ago now.

I think it feels the best when you get to to top of a steep uphill trail and have to go through the deep ruts cut in by people before you getting stuck and digging in to their fenders. You can tell by the cuts in the trail they tried their best but didn't make it. Its a good feeling to climb right up and out of the cuts they made and couldn't get beyond. The tires make all the difference in the world.
Abstruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2008, 01:06 PM   #13
toke
I_R_Food

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstruse View Post
I'd be embarrassed to show that video, you got stuck on basically a flat dirt road and had tires spinning?

That wasn't even off road, that was a dirt road?
nice commenting
the angle of the shot is what makes it look flat

it was a steep upgrade thats mostly loose dirt and rocks that even my Locked up YJ has a tough time getting up

it was an impressive climb

perhaps one day you should roll on out here and run that trail with us

2001 Grand RIP

2004 Rubicon RIP
Unread 06-07-2008, 03:55 PM   #14
SoloCamo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toke View Post
the angle of the shot is what makes it look flat

it was a steep upgrade thats mostly loose dirt and rocks that even my Locked up YJ has a tough time getting up

it was an impressive climb
Agreed. The angle gives it a flat look at first, but if you really look (especially at the background) you can easily tell that it is quite a steep hill. Not bad, not bad at all. Hell of a lot better than I'd do in my 2wd '88 Manche.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.