Questions about 01' 0331 head swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Questions about 01' 0331 head swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 06-24-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
lDlH
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Questions about 01' 0331 head swap

So I am currently taking out my cracked 0331 head in my 01 cherokee and wanting to put in a non 2000/2001 head so i found a 98 head for $200 at the local pick n pull.(of course ill magnaflux and get it resurfaced) My Question was by putting in an older head what things do i need to change? So far i've read something about the coil pack mount or something but have no clue what else.
Also While everything is off Should i replace/look at anything else.
(Before taking apart oil pressure would be at 0 at times at idle and at higher rpms 15 max, i already replaced the sending unit, still no fix)

Anything would help me greatly! Thanks! DH

lDlH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2014, 07:39 PM   #2
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

There is no mounting point for the coils on the older heads. Have you checked to see if it's covered under the recall by Chrysler?

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2014, 07:40 AM   #3
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnuck View Post
There is no mounting point for the coils on the older heads. Have you checked to see if it's covered under the recall by Chrysler?
Please supply some supporting documentation for this "recall".

I'm sure many others would be interested in that info also.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2014, 09:16 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

With such low oil pressure, I would not expect many miles out of that engine. Consider a complete engine swap or a partial rebuild.

For the head swap, you will need to buy or fabricate an exhaust manifold to head adapter plate for the non-0331 head. The 0331 head vs. the older heads, the heads have different exhaust port locations and sizes.

See this thread on another XJ Forum -> http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=919384

A good used TUPY 0331 head from TJ or WJ has the improved, non-cracking casting that will make the swap bolt-on with no modifications or adapters.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2014, 10:54 AM   #5
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
With such low oil pressure, I would not expect many miles out of that engine. Consider a complete engine swap or a partial rebuild.

For the head swap, you will need to buy or fabricate an exhaust manifold to head adapter plate for you non-0331 head. The 0331 head vs. the older heads, the heads have different exhaust port locations and sizes.

See this thread on another XJ Forum -> http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=919384

A good used TUPY 0331 head from TJ or WJ has the improved, non-cracking casting that will make the swap bolt-on with no modifications or adapters.

Tim, have you heard of a recall on this? I searched high and low and could find nothing.

Hoping carnuck comes through with some documentation to support his claim.

Hmmmm

My Jeep Technical Photos

Unread 06-29-2014, 11:13 AM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

AFIK there is no recall. Contact Chrysler/Jeep directly.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2014, 11:25 AM   #7
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
AFIK there is no recall. Contact Chrysler/Jeep directly.
Doesn't really matter to me. I'm all Renix.

Carnuck's probably our go-to guy here since he mentioned it.

Just hoping he chimes back in with more info.

My Jeep Technical Photos

Unread 07-01-2014, 02:35 PM   #8
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

Wow! Checked the internet and it appears they rescinded their "silent" recall. My son bought an '01 Grand Cherokee in Sept '00 with the 4.0L and they replaced the head at 30K and they said it was under recall at the time (100,000 mile drivetrain warranty). Only thing I can find now is coils and injectors under recall.

That was through Courtesy Chrysler/Jeep in Poulsbo (now gone along with the Courtesy Ford dealer I worked at)

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2014, 04:36 PM   #9
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Some clarification is in order here.

Having been a service manager and shop foreman at an aMC/Jeep/Chrysler dealership from 1980 through 1992, I can assure you there is no such thing as a "silent recall".

Recalls are mandated by the National Highway Transportation and Safety Administration.

Technical Bulletins are put out by the manufacturer to identify service issues and how to address them.

Policy Adjustment is on a case by case basis, the extension of the timeframe of repairs under the Factory's warranty program.

My Jeep Technical Photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.