Picked up a New ToY, How'd I do? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Picked up a New ToY, How'd I do?

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-12-2008, 09:04 PM   #1
VZEHLER
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Picked up a New ToY, How'd I do?

Just picked up a 1988 Jeep Comanche 4x4 with 65,000 original miles, New Tires, Auto, Long Bed. No Rust. 1,800.00 cash.

VZEHLER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2008, 12:19 AM   #2
Snacks
Little buddy

2000 XJ Cherokee 

(nice repost) Lets see some more pics and what are your plans?

“I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion” Jack Kerouac
Snacks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2008, 01:40 AM   #3
SoloCamo
1988 MJ Comanche 

What t-case and motor? Either way, looks like a steal! Welcome to the club~
Tires: Firestone "Firehawk Indy 500" 235/70/15's
SoloCamo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2008, 10:53 AM   #4
Snacks
Little buddy

2000 XJ Cherokee 

According to his repost in GD it has a 4.0L, but not the tcase.

“I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion” Jack Kerouac
Snacks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
wahoosteeler
1988 MJ Comanche 

I'm sure the more pics you post the more jealous I'll be. With no rust and those miles, or lack of LOL, there are a lot of people that would have been willing to pay almost twice as much.

Ok, go ahead and beat me up with more pics. Or better yet, will you take $2500 for it? Ha Ha
wahoosteeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2008, 11:32 AM   #6
VZEHLER
2006 TJ Wrangler 

lol.... im not 100% on the t-case... it does have the 4.0 though... Im wanting to say it has the np231.

Ill get some more pictures tonight
Unread 05-13-2008, 12:01 PM   #7
maddzz
1989 MJ Comanche 

Nice truck. and a good deal. not to many around with that little miles, and no rust on top of that.
maddzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2008, 09:52 PM   #8
VZEHLER
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Got a couple more pics before my batteries died on the camera. Finally looked under there and found it has the NP231 transfer case, is this the desireable one to have? I also noticed a little leakage around the slip yoke, should I be concerned? The interior needs a good cleanin but I'm always up for that... Other than dirt and a few small cracks in the bolster of the seat the interior is in excellent shape.

Unread 05-16-2008, 06:15 AM   #9
88XJSport
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Very nice MJ. Keep it in good shape!!
88XJSport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2008, 11:07 AM   #10
maddzz
1989 MJ Comanche 

THe seal out the back of the transfer case is easy to replace. You have to drop the drive shaft but you dont have to drain or remaove the transfer case. I have to replace mine to. It was only like $5. You should check the fluid level in the Transfer case in the mean time, mine was way low.

The height adjusting valve on the rear axle for the brakes is not hooked up.
maddzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2008, 12:52 PM   #11
VZEHLER
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddzz View Post
The height adjusting valve on the rear axle for the brakes is not hooked up.
actually if you take a closer look you'll notice what looks like a couple of brake lines cut and not connected to anything on the drivers side frame rail.... not sure what they go to but I think it has something to do with the height valve your talking about thats just dangling there... Gotta love picking up other peoples used vehicles and not knowing what the hell they were thinking
Unread 05-17-2008, 11:42 PM   #12
mfpdm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VZEHLER View Post
actually if you take a closer look you'll notice what looks like a couple of brake lines cut and not connected to anything on the drivers side frame rail.... not sure what they go to but I think it has something to do with the height valve your talking about thats just dangling there... Gotta love picking up other peoples used vehicles and not knowing what the hell they were thinking
Well if you look even closer, you'll notice that the lines have been spliced with a coupling. My guess from the rust on the others is that it rusted out and they had to replace part of it. That truck looks nice on top and has few miles, but it has seen some salt on the underside. You would do good to pull the carpet and see what the floor pans look like. I'd also clean up the rust on the underside and get some POR-15 on there to help prevent it from coming back. Rust is like cancer. You need to cure it or cut it out.

Still a nice find.

mfpdm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2008, 08:39 AM   #13
VZEHLER
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfpdm View Post
Well if you look even closer, you'll notice that the lines have been spliced with a coupling. My guess from the rust on the others is that it rusted out and they had to replace part of it. That truck looks nice on top and has few miles, but it has seen some salt on the underside. You would do good to pull the carpet and see what the floor pans look like. I'd also clean up the rust on the underside and get some POR-15 on there to help prevent it from coming back. Rust is like cancer. You need to cure it or cut it out.

Still a nice find.

I went ahead and pulled the entire interior to get it cleaned up to my liking. I found a little surface rust. I took a wire wheel to all of it and got it cleaned out completely, primed it sealed it and undercoated all the pans. Im not exactly sure what it was caused by because the padding attached to the carpet kit was moist on the passenger's side. I sat inside it while my step dad took a garden hose to the entire cab and we didn't get a leak anywhere. Possibly someone left the window open, who knows. No leaks from the heater core either. Ill post up some pictures soon.
Unread 05-19-2008, 10:08 PM   #14
mfpdm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VZEHLER View Post
I went ahead and pulled the entire interior to get it cleaned up to my liking. I found a little surface rust. I took a wire wheel to all of it and got it cleaned out completely, primed it sealed it and undercoated all the pans. Im not exactly sure what it was caused by because the padding attached to the carpet kit was moist on the passenger's side. I sat inside it while my step dad took a garden hose to the entire cab and we didn't get a leak anywhere. Possibly someone left the window open, who knows. No leaks from the heater core either. Ill post up some pictures soon.
Yeah those factory padding things are great for retaining water. I had my mj in the garage for 6 months and pulled the carpet just to find it soaking wet underneath.
mfpdm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2008, 12:21 AM   #15
James750
1990 MJ Comanche 

You got a great deal on the truck. i paid 2 for mine with similar features and 120,000. it looks like its in great shape and will stay in great shape with a little tlc and rust prevention.
Colorado Jeep Club #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubie View Post
Three words: Flying Spaghetti Monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Praise be unto His Noodly Appendage.
James750 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.