Peugeot ba5/10 failure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Peugeot ba5/10 failure

JK Front 3 Link Prototype - Clayton Off RoadDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 08-09-2012, 06:39 AM   #1
hillbilly51
1988 MJ Comanche 

Peugeot ba5/10 failure

Well, it's happened again.
The transmission in my 88 Comanche Chief has been roaring and grinding for about 3 years now and it's finally bit the dust.

I was about 15 miles from home and pulled into a driveway to turn around. When I tried to put it into reverse it hung up between two gears. I finally got it back out of gear ( it won't go into reverse) and drove it home very gently. It sounds awful.

I bought a replacement transmission about a year ago because I knew this day was coming.

I've thought about converting it to a better transmission but I only use the truck in the winter to haul firewood and the few odd trips to town to pickup material, etc, and just can't justify the expense and trouble, plus I'm lazy.....

Also, I now have two broken ba5/10 transmissions and I have a hunch that I can make another good spare transmission by combining the two.
The first one failed at 65K miles when a tooth broke off first gear on the cluster gear.
I didn't drive it over 20 miles when this happened before I swapped the transmissions.
The bearings and rest of the gears are still in good condition.

I figure that I can use the cluster gear out of this latest casuality.

One thing that I want to do for sure is to move the throwout bearing to the outside of the bell housing.
Anyone familiar with this process? How much trouble? Is it expensive?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
steve

hillbilly51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
DeejayZeejay
1994 ZJ 

How many miles did this last one make it to? As for the bearing...im not sure. Never done it.
Unread 08-09-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
Pete M
1988 MJ Comanche 

there was no external slave offered for the peugeot so that's going to be next to impossible. AX-15s had both styles offered over the years.
My email: petermontie@hotmail.com
ComancheClub.com/forums
Pete M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.