Overheating 87 Jeep Comanche - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Overheating 87 Jeep Comanche

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-10-2012, 07:55 AM   #1
birdie5
1987 MJ Comanche 

Overheating 87 Jeep Comanche

Question: I've had this Jeep for about seven months now, ran fine, temp stayed under 200, never overheated. Blew the head gasket two months ago, had it replaced (and the thermostat) and since then, it's over heated twice. This last time the engine sounded like it was boiling and antifreeze spewed out all over the road. Also, since I had the head gasket replaced the temp has been going up and down when I drive, not running at a consistent temp like it did before the gasket was replaced. The mechanic can't figure it out. I really need some help on this one, I have to make a 13 hour trip in two days - anyone have any ideas????

birdie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
DeejayZeejay
1994 ZJ 

Radiator replaced and water pump? Check the fins on the condensor and radiator. Make sure they are not bent in or clogged. Replace your temp sensor if original as well.
Unread 09-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
birdie5
1987 MJ Comanche 

I believe so, I know the radiator is new, pretty sure the water pump is too. I will tell him to check the other stuff - thanks so much!
Unread 09-11-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
birdie5
1987 MJ Comanche 

Mechanic got back to me - cracked piston
Unread 09-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
dkroll
1989 MJ Comanche 

9 times out of ten, if a thermostat without a "bleeder valve" is on it, it will cause you all kinds of crap!!! They always want to sell the one which has no bleeder valve, it can drive you crazy until you get the right one. Be sure to check that out. If it don't....they owe you some money bro!
Without this type, you will get air buildup near the head and will overheat. Your temp gauge will go crazy and (I am assuming this is a 4.0L), you will always have temp issues!!!! Serious!!! Check it out....Thank God it is an easy location and quick job.
Unread 10-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
birdie5
1987 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkroll View Post
9 times out of ten, if a thermostat without a "bleeder valve" is on it, it will cause you all kinds of crap!!! They always want to sell the one which has no bleeder valve, it can drive you crazy until you get the right one. Be sure to check that out. If it don't....they owe you some money bro!
Without this type, you will get air buildup near the head and will overheat. Your temp gauge will go crazy and (I am assuming this is a 4.0L), you will always have temp issues!!!! Serious!!! Check it out....Thank God it is an easy location and quick job.

Thanks so much, I just read this. I left a message for the mechanic. I just got the Jeep back last week - AFTER HE PUT A NEW ENGINE IN IT - and today it overheats AGAIN!
Unread 10-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

I only use the factory thermostat 83501426 anymore. Has a jiggle valve/bleed hole.
Do you still have the coolant bottle on the passenger side firewall? When it overheats does the coolant come out around that cap? If so, replace the cap with one from Napa. Part number 703-1396.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 09:49 PM   #8
ftpiercecracker
1990 MJ Comanche 

is that the volvo cap?
ftpiercecracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 05:50 AM   #9
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

703-1396 is Napa's part number for the Volvo cap.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #10
ftpiercecracker
1990 MJ Comanche 

Got it.

This is the cap i have and it is fantastic. Had to go through 3 stock caps before i figured it out.
ftpiercecracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.