oil in all of the wrong places - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > oil in all of the wrong places

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-27-2011, 01:06 AM   #1
ore4x4

oil in all of the wrong places

my comanche has an oil leak on the valve cover the rubber fitting is worn out, and there is oil on the air filter.

ore4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
ftpiercecracker
1990 MJ Comanche 

well you probably just need to replace your valve cover gasket, that should solve the leaking. as for the oil in the air filter, what happens is oil fumes that are burned of the motor because of the leak get pulled into the filter and ta da you have an oily filter, but if there is literaly a pool of oil i am not sure what on earth would cause this. It might also be your PCV valve, all very simple things. just ask your local auto parts store. uless you have a washable K&N air filter you should probably get a new one. let me know if this works.
ftpiercecracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2011, 09:24 AM   #3
ftpiercecracker
1990 MJ Comanche 

replace your PCV valve and your air filter.
ftpiercecracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 06:50 AM   #4
Garvin
1986 MJ Comanche 

There is no PCV valve. The PCV is integrated into the valve cover. What you need to do is clean the valve cover up real well in the inside top, find a rubber grommet that fits in the top and replace the air filter. Blow by is a very common issue with these Jeeps and is fairly easy to fix.
Roll Bar, 15/38.5R16.5 Ground Hawgs, Bastard lift (Custom 3-link long arm system, 4.5" Rusty's front springs w/ 1.75" spacers and 6.5" RC shocks, SOA rear), Dana 60HP/Sterling 10.25, 4.10's, Recessed winch, more mods to come...

[B]1992 Jeep Comanche 174000+ miles[/B]
Short Bed, 4.0L I6 HO, AX15, NP231
In the process of doing a frame up restoration.

...RIP...
[B]1990 Jeep Cherokee XJ 207774 miles[/B]
4.0L I6, AW4, NP231. Tom Woods SYE and Drive Shaft, Rusty's 8.0" Long Arm Suspension Lift, 36/13.5R15 Super Swamper IROK's, Dana 30 Front, Tube Diff Guard, Dana 44 Rear, 4.56 gears, Ox Locker, disc brake conversion
Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 12:15 PM   #5
ore4x4

thanks for the help.
ore4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 04:52 PM   #6
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
There is no PCV valve. The PCV is integrated into the valve cover. What you need to do is clean the valve cover up real well in the inside top, find a rubber grommet that fits in the top and replace the air filter. Blow by is a very common issue with these Jeeps and is fairly easy to fix.
This^^. Replace the vacuum harness that includes the valve cover grommets while you're at it. Napa has them priced reasonably.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
DonBC
1989 MJ Comanche 

When I got my 89 Comanche it was pushing oil over to the air filter when driving and sucking oil into the intake manifold when I was stopped at a light. It would go through about a litre of oil in 500 km. Compression was good and there was little blow-by when the oil filler cap was off on the valve cover. I finally removed the valve cover and saw the source of my problems. Everything under the valve cover was coated with at least 1/4" of sludge. The ventilation passages near the top of the valve cover were plugged so the only opening was near the bottom of the valve cover. The space around the push rods was almost closed off so the oil had trouble getting back to the crankcase and it would build up to the lower ventilation openings in the valve cover and get drawing into either the air filter or the intake manifold. I don't think that this truck ever saw any highway miles, just city stop and go driving. I spent over 6 hours cleaning the valve cover and everything under the valve cover. I flushed the engine twice with kerosene and then engine cleaner just before the next two oil changes. No more smoke and oil consumption is an acceptable 1 litre every 2500 km.
The seller told me it needed an engine overhaul. It turned out to be a cheap fix and it runs beautifully.
DonBC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comanche , oil , oil leak

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.