noob 4x4 question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > noob 4x4 question

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
54bobby

noob 4x4 question

so guys, how can i tll if my front drive is engaged? haven't had it off the pavement yet and don't wana do it on dry road. i have pulled the lever into all positions but can't tell if it's goin in. will the front shaft spin if in 2wd? if so, and the wheels aren't turning, what next? what is the cad and does my 87 2.5 have one? there is no light comming on the dash but bulb could be blown.

54bobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #2
mj40
1989 MJ Comanche 

it should have the vacuum unit on right side front axle.. my 86 parts mj has it..

start it up put it in 4x4. shut it off and jack up the right front tire.. in 4x4 it'll only rock back n forth.. if it spins around the vacuum unit is not engaging the axle lock.you'll have to check the vacuum lines for leaks and the unit..
your tranfer case is a chain driven either 231 or 242-part-time/full-time..
mj40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

put the whole thing up on jackstands, all tires off the ground. start it up and have someone sit in it and shift it into 4wd. if the front tires turn, then its working. you could just shift it yourself, but its a good idea to have someone sitting inside to cover the brakes, just in case it fals off the jackstands.
Unread 02-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
54bobby

vacume line from cad to tc was off. all fixed now.
54bobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
Hitman72
1988 MJ Comanche 

what you can do on the fly is when on pavement engage it and make a hard right turn, if it is engaged the inside tire should hop.
Hitman72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.