No Heat - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > No Heat

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 07-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
hakukamana
1993 YJ Wrangler 

No Heat

Just picked up a 90' MJ base 4.0 AX15 NP231, had not run in a while. Got it started. No heat coming out of the heater controls. Looks like it was converted to a open system, radiator has a cap and a overflow bottle that is zip tied to the AC delete bracket. The blower motor works, the heater controls work somewhat, I can get vent air blower on, I can get defrost air blower on, appears that there is no floor air coming out of the black box with two square holes. Looked at the heater hoses, there is a valve spliced into one that has a valve in it but not connected to anything to control it. I am going to flush and install a new thermostat, the bad thing about the truck is it has idiot lights no gauges. So I can't tell anything, it doesn't even have a tach.

93 YJ 5.2L Magnum, Custom rear bumper & swing out tire carrier, Ford Explorer electric seats, Ford 8.8, TW DS, SYE, NV231D, Autometer gauges, Rhinolined interior,Bushwacker flares, LED Lighting all around, MT Classic II, BFG 32/11.50/15, Warrior Body Armour, ZJ PV, DD BB, 52mm TB, Ford 23# Injectors, HS 1.7 RR, KC lights, RE Xpress 4" lift
hakukamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Can you move the valve by hand?
Had/have 6Jeeps/5Cherokees/4XJ's
79chiefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #3
hakukamana
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yes I can move the valve by hand it has a flow arrow on the body and I have moved the lever in the direction of the arrow no difference. I read some where that you can remove the valve because it really dose not do anything. It should be vacumn controlled but it doesn't have a port on the valve, it looks like it was cable controlled.
93 YJ 5.2L Magnum, Custom rear bumper & swing out tire carrier, Ford Explorer electric seats, Ford 8.8, TW DS, SYE, NV231D, Autometer gauges, Rhinolined interior,Bushwacker flares, LED Lighting all around, MT Classic II, BFG 32/11.50/15, Warrior Body Armour, ZJ PV, DD BB, 52mm TB, Ford 23# Injectors, HS 1.7 RR, KC lights, RE Xpress 4" lift
Unread 07-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

What about a clogged heater core? If it sat with the valve closed it could have clogged the core.
Had/have 6Jeeps/5Cherokees/4XJ's
79chiefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
dkroll
1989 MJ Comanche 

bypass the core and see if the hoses get hot to see if the core is the issue. Then the valve if needed. This will isolate a blockage.
Unread 07-25-2013, 07:02 AM   #6
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakukamana View Post
Yes I can move the valve by hand it has a flow arrow on the body and I have moved the lever in the direction of the arrow no difference. I read some where that you can remove the valve because it really dose not do anything. It should be vacumn controlled but it doesn't have a port on the valve, it looks like it was cable controlled.
Yes. Ditch the valve.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #7
hakukamana
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Update-OK, went through the entire system. Vacumn hoses brittle and leaking, thus the blower controls won't work correctly. (Fixed) Removed the thermostat, what a mess, it appears someone used something to stop a leak. I found what looked like hardened foam in the thermostat housing, started to clean it out and found a hole about the size of a pick in the housing.(Fixed) Replaced housing, new 180 thermostat & gasket. Before I put it all back together, complete flush, then back flush, pulled the heater control valve in the heater hoses, installed new heater hoses. Flushed heater core. 50/50 Antifreeze. (Fixed) Looks better, runs @ 180* on the money, verified with (DRBII Modis Scanner) no gauges, and the controls work the way they were supposed to run. I still can not find the heater valve control cable, and the black & white vacumn lines are repaired, black to the vacumn resv. The white I just installed a check valve.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.