Newfie's MJ build , stage 1 - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Newfie's MJ build , stage 1

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-12-2011, 05:29 PM   #31
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

The black grille had to go , and I swapped on the 32's . Lights are also functional now on the header . I made an adapter so the lights are plug and play

Another inspirational shot or 3

dsc04806.jpg   dsc04807.jpg   dsc04809.jpg  
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2011, 09:29 PM   #32
NGAXJING
1997 XJ Cherokee 

how did you do the door striker? They are different kinds. Can you get a pic of the mod? thanks
NGAXJING is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 06:37 AM   #33
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGAXJING View Post
how did you do the door striker? They are different kinds. Can you get a pic of the mod? thanks
All I did was weld them . The striker from the XJ has a plate , seperate from the striker , a 2 pc if you will . So I eyeballed it for height , and got the appoximate location from the XJ , cleaned the area and tacked it on . That's where the fun begins . I then started to eyeball and tack on the striker . I think both sides were done in 3 tries .

I'm a terrible welder (no pics), I'm just starting . Heavy guage metal , no prob , thin stuff , I need my friend who just left for another 3 wk shift . When he's back , I'll have him reweld my work properly , then , add some paint . I'm just not up to spec on what settings to run and should have done a practice weld with the thin stuff first .

Welding was the easy way out , that's a given . However , I also read lots who remove the inside fastening plate , and replace it with the xj plate accessing it through the pillar on the inside . Then you also have to cover the hole left visable from the original striker . You could easily make it adjustable like the fatory also I didn't have that issue as I have seen on others , the XJ's striker base plate I shifted out about 1/4 if that , and covered it .

I'll try to hit it with the die-grinder today , flash some primer and get a pic on here . If it still looks like crap , no pic for you . lol . I'm not ready to start any puddy work to pretty it up until it's redone .

The doors do open and close as good as they did on the XJ
Unread 04-13-2011, 01:27 PM   #34
soul_Less
1994 ZJ 

lookin good

the 'sport' on the door is a nice touch
soul_Less is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2011, 08:56 PM   #35
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Front lift is on now , I jacked up the rear 3" to give an idea of the lift required . At least I won't tear the fenders off turning now with the 32's .

I may go another 1" on the front and just get Rusty's 4" springs
IRO adj. lowers , RE super flex uppers , 3.5 lift springs , procomp shocks , so far
dsc04810.jpg   dsc04811.jpg   dsc04812.jpg  
Unread 04-16-2011, 09:03 PM   #36
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

BTW , the frt 2wd axle will most likely be swapped in long before the 4wd conversion simply due to needing new brakes , brake lines and bearings on the 2wd axle . I have the XJ sitting there with new rotors , brake pads , bearings and good brake lines
Unread 04-16-2011, 10:49 PM   #37
lsmurphy

That looks good Newfie. I'll be heading in the same direction soon and I appreciate you responding to my post a couple of days ago, thanks.
lsmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2011, 08:17 PM   #38
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Guess I should update this thread a little .

I ended up ordering Rusty's springs . Got a little more lift than wanted , some good customer service and a nice look . The shocks had to be wicked long though . I think they are 20-32" . My 3500's are maxed at 28" stock .
dsc04836.jpg

dsc04855.jpg

Anyways , everything is functional now , and I did accually tag and insure it . Drove it a few times and Can't say I'm a fan just yet , lol . The steering was crappy , so I installed the ZJ V8 steering from the Orvis(mostly new or newish)and began to prep the spare ZJ steering box for the swap . Everything was also checked out and it should be tight . I was a very low K rebuild as it was .

Then , low and behold , after an extensive pressure washing , I discovered a fairly major oil leak from a place where it's a fairly major job Yup , head gasket . Well , kharma's a ***** cause I made the guy I bought the engine from buy me a head set , which I thought I didn't need because I discovered the wrong rotation on the w/pump instead . I guess I do everything for a reason cause now I'm gonna ditch the 4 banger anyways . It's just tooooooooooooo gutless for me . Great for a city commute , but the hwy kills it on 32's , even with 2WD . I'm gonna re-gasket the engine , then , sell it for at least what I paid .

Next will be to get the 91 MJ in , and start pulling parts . I'm pulling the gas tank , diffs, t-case and engine . That 4.0 runs as good as new and at least got some decent power . Hoping to keep the 4:10's but may have to settle for 3:55's
Then I can pull the MJ's 2.5 powertrain , wiring , and dash . Time to rip and strip .
Once done , park the XJ along side , pull it's powertrain , cut some firewall inserts , weld them to the MJ and swap the wires and so on .
Basically , pull the tags back off , cause it's gonna be next before it's running again . We'll see . I'm gonna pull the 91 in pretty soon so I can get it gone off the property . I also bought a new engine stand so I can prep the 4.0 and paint it all purdy . I've since got my pressure washer working , my 60 gal compressor ready to fire up , and my garage gutted for this swap . So I'll be painting the engine bay , and cab interior , before the wires get installed .

Oh man , I got a lotta work ahead . Last jeep build for Newfie , that's a given . Might as well make it a very very nice one , as in show truck quality . It's all coming undone again .
Unread 07-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #39
cherokeej
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Now I want to go and buy an Mj and switch everything off my Xj haha, looks awesome man

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/blue-genie-1110176/
cherokeej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #40
biggn235
DAS Man

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Subscribed, awesome build so far

Past - 95YJ 99XJ 98XJ 05WK
biggn235 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2011, 01:36 AM   #41
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Thanks guys .

I just bought another 97XJ so I got sidetracked again however the 98XJ is also in the garage getting ready for the rest of the swap .
Hopefully next week I can get the MJ back in the garage and dismantle it once again . I took the pl/pd off so no more road use for a while . Couldn't handle the lack of power in the 2.5 anymore . The 91's engine has also been pressure washed off and ready to pull .

Slow progress , but , still , moving forward
Unread 07-16-2011, 11:22 AM   #42
Boogalooper
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Looks great indeed, I may have a future project way way down the road!

1990 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer
Boogalooper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #43
bolducslabs

do you have any info on the door power buttons how do they swap over,and also the headlights and turnsignal lights just went to the junk yard today and they have a nice 2000 XJ for parts.
Can see the doors going on mine soon just wanted to keep the power windows, and power locks on my 88
bolducslabs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2011, 09:03 PM   #44
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolducslabs View Post
do you have any info on the door power buttons how do they swap over,and also the headlights and turnsignal lights just went to the junk yard today and they have a nice 2000 XJ for parts.
Can see the doors going on mine soon just wanted to keep the power windows, and power locks on my 88
I don't have them hooked up just yet . friend has offered to hook them up with the original system , but , this winter plan on stage 2 , the new powertrain . That will consist of the rebuilt 4.0 , used AW4 and rebuild a 231 . I have everything except the rebuild kit for the 231 , and new gears for the 44. The wiring is coming out of the 98 XJ , plus the dash , AC , ABS etc etc . Once the wiring is in place , the power door options are plug and play Then the HP30/d44 combo gets mounted .

I almost dropped another 2.5 with a ax-5/231 back up . I even went as far as to buy the combo , but I have changed my mind , I need more power for sure than the 2.5 can offer

On a side note , I did manage to find a nice factory roll ball , with factory lights , no rust , original paint and only $10 . I sold the original fenders , bumper and grille etc from the MJ for $150 , 1/2 the cost of the jeep
dsc05293.jpg   dsc05294.jpg   dsc05297.jpg  
Unread 10-04-2011, 08:21 AM   #45
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

$10 for a factory roll bar? I already have a roll bar and I'd buy 10 at that price. Nice score.
rymanrph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.