JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   MJ Comanche Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f53/)
-   -   Newfie's MJ build , stage 1 (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f53/newfies-mj-build-stage-1-a-1189346/)

newfieZJ 03-30-2011 09:28 AM

Newfie's MJ build , stage 1

5 Attachment(s)
So here she is . I just pulled it to the car wash to hose out the engine bay for an engine swap . It was covered in snow when I bought it , and until a few days ago , still had a full box full . But , it was time to clean it up . Looks pretty good for a $300 truck :D

Attachment 210625

Attachment 210626

Attachment 210627

Attachment 210629

With so many choices , it was hard to know where to start . For now , I bought a replacement engine with 95K . It's just a 2.5 but it will work for this summer and to keep it mobile while I build it . It's getting moved to the garage today and from there will begin the swap .

Stage 1 includes
A , get it running .
B , work out any bugs to make it roadworthy
C , start swapping 98 XJ door and header parts
D , prep and paint
Stage 2 will include
A , interior swap from the 98
B , powertrain swap with a 4.0/AW4/231/D44/HPnondisco30
C , lift it and run 32's

I have most everything for both stages , yes , that's another MJ behind the XJ .

Attachment 210630

The spots you see were the PO's touch ups with por-15 , except for the shady tree patch job on the doors , not sure what the plan was there , lol . No matter to me , the XJ doors are clean :)

Hopefully the engine is in and running tomorrow or Friday . :thumbsup:

ZJ5point2GCL 03-30-2011 12:35 PM

Can't wait to see the build in progress:2thumbsup:

newfieZJ 04-01-2011 07:09 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Yesturday I decided to get a new clutch and have the flywheel resurfaced .
Attachment 211426
Never got alot done except some cleaning and brackets swapping .
Attachment 211423
Funny how the 88MJ had a sepentine belt system , and the 90YJ didn't . Tha harmonic balancer has to be swapped also . Had I'd of thought about it , I would have got a new seal . Fingers crossed it done leak , lol .
Attachment 211424
This was the old clutch . I was gonna use it but figured I'd be changing it out sooner than later
Attachment 211425

This morning I just have to align the clutch , pin everything together and drop her in .
I bought new oil , plugs , cap , rotor , fuel conditioner and gear oil for the rear so far . Still a few things to get , I might need a starter me thinks . :(

ZJ5point2GCL 04-01-2011 10:42 AM

making decent progress.

yesterday i saw a flat black MJ on 35''s look really good, i think there might of been a small block under the hood though, sounded a little meaner than a 4.0:D

Your project is giving me inspiration to start working on my jeeps again, i am on day 10 off pulling my transfer case:rofl: Sold the diesel so my next project is twin centrifugal supers on the v10.:cool:

newfieZJ 04-01-2011 04:49 PM

That V10 should rock after that , lol .

I'll never stuff 35's , my plan is to do as little lift as possible to run 32's , maybe 3".

Anyways , the engine is in , and it fired up . :D Made me sweat a little , and the starts seem slower than they should , but , the gas is old , and I still haven't installed the new cap and rotor . I suppose I should have got a fuel filter also , I just wasn't thinking about it . It's a curse living in the country .

Still have the rad and hoses to install , then bleed the clutch . Should be having a test drive tonite :) , or , wait till morning .

Gonna need a little exhaust work , the muffler is falling apart , now I get to try out my auto-dark sheild :)

No pics of new progress yet .

Newfie_Jeeper 04-01-2011 05:00 PM

Looking good!

Your gonna wanna slip a small block in there eventully! Trust me!

:2thumbsup:

newfieZJ 04-01-2011 05:12 PM

Ha ha . That almost happened but it was a day after I bought the 2.5 . There was a 94 ImpalaSS for $1200 , hit in the d/s rear door . Would have made a nice swap .

Don't need the V8 in this one , 2 Grand's are plenty for me , lol . This one is economical . I like it just as it is to be honest .

This is stage one . Stage 2 get's the 4.0 . I'm gonna rebuild most everything before I tear the MJ back down .

Good to hear from someone from home . I'm originally from Burin , you ?

Newfie_Jeeper 04-01-2011 08:41 PM

Yeah its gonna be a great little rig. Do it however YOU want it.

I'm out in Rocky Harbour in Gros Morne, getting ready for a snow storm it seems. I bet you dont miss that!

The 4.0 will be nice when you get it done. I swapped in a V8 in my YJ. I did a full frame off last year. Just stuck in a carbed 305 that I had, but did a proper job of the mounts and trans mount etc, with intention of doing a stage 2 as well. I put 6000 Kms on the 305 and the jeep is workin out, so I just pulled the 305 and ordered a new GM crate engine, 5.7 Vortec and I'm doing the Affordable Fuel injection Multi Port Injection. Its costin a bit, but I went from 3 vehicles to 2 and now the Jeep is gonna be my daily driver. It should dead nuts reliable when its done....Hopefully :2thumbsup:
Nice thing about stickin in a V8, your options a limitless as almost anything fits!

Anyway, Dont stray to far from the Rock!

Newf

newfieZJ 04-03-2011 10:53 AM

We had enough snow here this year for me , it's finally starting to melt off a little , :) .

Got an issue now . Seems I'm building pressure in the cooling system and loosing circulation due to air lock . I've bled it out and figure now the head gasket is leaking into the water jacket . Curses , I just wanted this to run OK to see if I like it enough to keep going on the build . Now I'm ready to toss the lot and scrap it down for the proper 98 complete swap .

The guy I bought this engine from said he would pay for new gaskets , I suppose the head gasket isn't that hard to do on a 4 banger . Effin thing , I'll have so much into this powertrain I'll need to drive it a few years to get some money back :(

newfieZJ 04-03-2011 12:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I needed some motivation :D

newfieZJ 04-04-2011 07:14 PM

Good news . Discovered the water pump has a reverse rotation , the YJ was standard . "New" water pump should fix things up :D . It's at the parts place for p/u first thing in the morning .

I also took a walk though the pick-n-pull . Found a 1990 YJ with a 5 speed . I'm gonna nab that trans and turn the MJ 4X4 . It's only $130 and it has the starter too which is only $26 more . Mine sounds bad :(

I think I'll drop some 4:10's in the front axle to match the rear , if the rear turns out to be quiet after it's on the road .

ZJ5point2GCL 04-04-2011 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newfieZJ (Post 11305083)
Good news . Discovered the water pump has a reverse rotation , the YJ was standard . "New" water pump should fix things up :D . It's at the parts place for p/u first thing in the morning .

I also took a walk though the pick-n-pull . Found a 1990 YJ with a 5 speed . I'm gonna nab that trans and turn the MJ 4X4 . It's only $130 and it has the starter too which is only $26 more . Mine sounds bad :(

I think I'll drop some 4:10's in the front axle to match the rear , if the rear turns out to be quiet after it's on the road .

so you had a standard rotation pump on there and thats why it was building cooling pressure? is that what your thinking? or did i way miss something?

GoldenEagle06 04-04-2011 08:10 PM

this is gonna be a great build, I want one of these so bad to build for myself.. i'm thinking 4bt or a Mercedes Benz 5 cylinder diesel would be an awesome swap!

newfieZJ 04-05-2011 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZJ5point2GCL (Post 11305454)
so you had a standard rotation pump on there and thats why it was building cooling pressure? is that what your thinking? or did i way miss something?

That's right , I had the 90YJ's water pump left on the engine . I didn't know there were 2 rotations available until the parts guy asked which one I wanted when I was picking up the gasket set :dunno: . When I compared the 2 , sure enough , opposites .

Installed the new pump , t-stat , rad , clutch fan and blade . Everything works perfect :2thumbsup: . Had it running for an hour

Never got to the scrap yard yet to get the gear box , hopefully it's there tomorrow . Right now , I'm just glad to hear the engine run so well . Also , my first ever clutch job , turned out great , it's smooth as silk . :D

I gotta get the 91 MJ in the garage now and pull the buckets and console . Pull the carpet and the headliner and clean it up . Then pull the carpet and seat from the 88 . Scuff the floors and repaint them (already looked , very good shape) Minor repair ;) I'll get pics of that . Then install the buckets and console . The dash , and door panels are in excellant shape , everything matches

ZJ5point2GCL 04-05-2011 02:51 PM

Good to hear is was simple. I am surprised it makes that much of a difference, I thought there would be cooling issues, but I wouldn't of expected it would build pressure like that.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

The time now is 11:37 AM.