New Here with a axke gearing question... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > New Here with a axke gearing question...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 10-28-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
77mud
1988 MJ Comanche 

New Here with a axke gearing question...

Hello everyone Im new on here and had a few questions about axle's and gearing. But first a little info/background/pics

I have a 1988 Jeep Comanche 4.0 Auto trans its lifted and on front i have 34x9.5 TSL's and on the back i have 35x10.5 Bogger's truck is used to Mud bog/race, and its Mainly my Fiance and younger brother and sister who race it as i have a old Ford truck that i race.

as far as Mods to the Jeep it has the newer intake (2000 model) and a cold air intake, (kinda limited on mod's to it since its ran in a Kids class and a street stock class) then the transmission has been tweaked a little so that it will shift back and forth between `1st and 2nd with out completely dying before it down shift's the spider's in the rear end have also been welded.

now my question is this... Im looking at getting rid of the 3.54's that are in it and swap to 4.11's (want it to hold second good not have to down shift and not have to go to 3rd) when i re geared my Dana 44 i know i had to get a series 4 carrier for the 3.92+ gears, do i have to do that for the dana 30/35's? or is the carrier already in there the same ones used for 4.11 gears?

thanks for any help!

77mud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
ftpiercecracker
1990 MJ Comanche 

I'm not calling anybody stupid, but your question goes over the head of probably most of the people on here, including myself . Your best bet is to try over on comanche club.

What i can tell you is that lil dana 35 will almost certainly detonate on your very first pull once the 4.11s are in it, you are pretty lucky it made it this far with the tires you have on it. If you class allows it i would snag a ford explorer 8.8 and toss it under there, cheap, plentiful, and strong enough to do what you want.
ftpiercecracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
77mud
1988 MJ Comanche 

the 35 has chromo shafts in it and i haven't had a problem with it so far and we are not being nice to it at all. Thanks for the help i assume the Comanche club is another forum or is it part of this one? any other technical sub forums on here that may know? it should be the same as the Cherokee's and the Wagoner limited's

^ its a video just click on it and it goes to photobucker
Unread 10-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
77mud
1988 MJ Comanche 

Looks like the 35 is 3.54 and Numerically higher gears is one case and 3.31 and numerically lower is a different case... then the Dana 30 is 3.73 and higher...
Unread 10-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
ftpiercecracker
1990 MJ Comanche 

Sorry about that, comancheclub.com is a comanche speciality site, i've been a member for about 7 months or so, really really good knowledgeable guys. Glad that 35 has held up, but if i were you i wouldnt put any more money into it if it does break, but thats just me.

sweet video by the way, ever thought about building a stroker for it?
ftpiercecracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
77mud
1988 MJ Comanche 

I have, but like i said rules are kinda limited, and being my younger sister drives it to (7 years old) it's not getting a stoker, I have another ford truck im gonna be starting to work on that will be for going faster, this ones just a cheap toy, but i do like to keep them on there toes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.