new cherokee converion ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > new cherokee converion ?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 01-06-2014, 10:08 PM   #1
SOWEGA TJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

new cherokee converion ?

Ive seen several thread on conversions to cherokees. My question as to what year models will convert my 88 MJ and what all can be used or converted: total front end, seats, dash, center console?...

I also have stock parts to a TJ that I own and would like to know what suspension parts on the front I could use.

Does anyone know the height of the stock MJ coils for a 2wd SB?

Thanks
NEW MJ OWNER

SOWEGA TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2014, 08:26 PM   #2
SOWEGA TJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

can you use the newer97+ dash with the stock 88 MJ motor? or will the motor have to be transferred over as well to make the switch?
Unread 01-07-2014, 08:33 PM   #3
stumpjumper1983
1989 MJ Comanche 

Let me get my head on straight, you have an mj and want it to be an xj?
stumpjumper1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2014, 08:49 PM   #4
SOWEGA TJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

negative. I want to update the bent hood and rusty fenders. the 97+ is a straight swap and the interior of the 97+ is way nicer so why not update while i have it all broke apart and my dash is messed up. the conversion is very common just want some detailed info on it...
Unread 01-07-2014, 09:11 PM   #5
stumpjumper1983
1989 MJ Comanche 

ok that makes much more sense... dunno what to tell ya, im fighting air cleaners on mine.
stumpjumper1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 11:35 AM   #6
Soldier905
1988 MJ Comanche 

The 97+ dash probley wont work with 88 as the 88 is most likely a renix system .so best bet is swap everything over . If you switch over the front seats to the mj you will need to keep the brackets from the mj as the XJ brackets will not work unless you mod them. Everything else will fit easily in the cab except the emergency brake cable ( if you use XJ console brake) and some other issues regarding the firewall which can be fixed by just making a template of the firewall with the engine out of the 97+(if that's what your choosing) and just transfer it to the mj.
Soldier905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 06:22 PM   #7
SOWEGA TJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

okay thanks. I found some good information on comanche club. I plan to convert the front clip and seat and console for now and maybe an engine and dash swap when the renix is on its last leg
Unread 01-08-2014, 07:06 PM   #8
SOWEGA TJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

anyone know if any of stock TJ suspension will work for front axle on the comanche. coils, track bar, or control arms?
thanks

also will 265/75R15 tires work on the stock suspension without any problems?
Unread 01-14-2014, 03:03 PM   #9
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

The tj front axle is a bolt in for mj xj and zj. The 265's may require some fender trim or a little lift.
Unread 01-17-2014, 03:28 AM   #10
SOWEGA TJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

sold the 265s and Im curious of the control arms, springs and steering from a 05 4x4 TJ to my 88 2WD MJ? got the seat and carpet out....minimal rust

Might hold off until I got and 97+ XJ donor to do the suspension stuff i was just curious. I will be fabbing up a roll cage similar to stock and adding light mounts on top. I need to figure out my dash situation the most.....the steering column is broke and so is the ignition...I either need to replace with one just like it or swap the XJ stuff over if I can find one soon...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.