Need some help from my friends - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Need some help from my friends

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
XB12Mel
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Need some help from my friends

Aright folks... Iíll admit, I haven't got a clue of what to do. Here's where you come in.

Project: 86 Comanche 2.5L TBI / AX-5 "Barn find".

Donor vehicle: 93 Cherokee Sport 4.0L HO / Automatic.

Here's what I want to do: Pull working components from the XJ to power the MJ, change the AT to Manual 5-Speed, upgrade suspension components to 4 wheel disk setup from a JK or XK. Basically modernize this classic truck for comfort and reliability. No plans for offroad. I do plan to haul my motorcycle to various track days, so i want something useful and unique.

So:

Pull power train from the MJ. Replace it with the 4.0L from the XJ and marry that to the AX-15 from a 98 ZJ that I just sourced from EBay. I know that I'll need to transfer the ECM and all electronics and harness from the XJ. I'm also going to grab the fuel tank and pump from the XJ so that I have a completely compatible fueling system.

Here's where I'm having some doubts. I'm already looking for a new Clutch to handle the 4.0 but does that mean I need a new flywheel and ring gear for the AX-15 or can I use the one already on the engine? I know I need to get a new bell housing with the external clutch cylinder. But what else will I need? What are the little tidbits that I want to tackle while the whole power train is sitting on the floor BEFORE i stuff it between the rails? This project is bigger than any I've attempted before. I've done swaps before, but always replacing existing components, so... yeah, I might be biting off more than I can chew but I'm fully invested now and ready to start turning wrenches.

Thanks for any advice.

XB12Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
mj40
1989 MJ Comanche 

tanks are different and sending units are different ... the xj's won't fit...other than that your off to a start.. i did my swap 89 to 90..only wire changed was under the hood, harness for the auto was added.......you maybe able to delete this from your original harness...
mj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
XB12Mel
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome... Yes, I noticed that the tanks were definately different. I guess i'm left having to clean out the old metal one. Thanks again.
XB12Mel is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.