MJ is poisoning me, lol. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > MJ is poisoning me, lol.

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 06-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
pingclang
1989 MJ Comanche 

MJ is poisoning me, lol.

Hey guys, I'm new as it gets and still learning engines but I have a serious problem to address. My Comanche is feeding grey-ish smoke into the cab through the floor heat box whether the heat is on or not that smells like burning oil. I have researched this online but no one is experiencing it quite like this. I have no clue what to do here so any help from you guys is greatly appreciated.

pingclang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
SCRMBLD
2006 LJ Wrangler 

There's almost no possible way oil can get in the heater box to smell like burnt oil; I doubt it's oil. BUT, the blower motor and/or resistor can be going bad and causing this burning smell. In the MJ years the resistor is usually the issue, but it may be worth replacing both while you're at it. If you don't (best case) the blower motor will stop, or (worst case) you could have an interior fire caused from the resistance of the heating/shorting out of the wires.

Here's a YouTube video of a resistor placement of what looks like a right-hand drive diesel XJ:
Unread 06-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
pingclang
1989 MJ Comanche 

I'm sorry, I didn't word that very well. The smoke is fumes coming from the engine, not oil in the heat box. Somehow the fumes and smoke are coming through the vents. It has nothing to do with running the heat or anything. I'm still going to look into what you said though. I really appreciate you giving me something to consider.
pingclang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
Pete M
1988 MJ Comanche 

The rear hood seal on my truck sucks and will allow me to "smell my engine" at certain speeds. no smoke though.
My email: petermontie@hotmail.com
ComancheClub.com/forums
Pete M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Could be an exhaust leak.
Mine had an cracked exhaust manifold and I got lots of fumes when it was hot and running hard. I also had a couple of dried out loose grommets in the firewall. Replaced (welded) manifold, replaced donut gasket. Fixed grommets. All good now
Unread 07-22-2013, 12:33 AM   #6
gus7

MJ are like women ,they love their time with you ...if they dont get it ,talk a ***** ! it maybe the blower fan burning up ......disconnect it ,pull it and smell it ....
gus7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
dkroll
1989 MJ Comanche 

Floor boards rusted out?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.