Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

MJ got mashed, now what?

808 views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Mrburn 
#1 ·
Long story short...The MJ got broadsided last night around midnight while it was parked in front of our house. :brickwall The driver's door, left front fender, and the tie rod AT LEAST are trashed. We've got about $1K in the truck w/ the new clutch and other stuff. KBB says it's worth around $300, so I'm assuming that's all we'll see from the other party's insurance. Is this correct? Other options?

#4 ·
BillR said:
KBB says it's worth around $300, so I'm assuming that's all we'll see from the other party's insurance. Is this correct? Other options?
KBB is useless when establishing price. The last time I took an insurance company to the mat I did a search on a 86 GNX - KBB said it was worth $1600 in 'excellent condition' - I had a client who fronted me $25,000 cash as downpayment just in case I came across a geniune.

I personally would fight for what its worth (not being riduclous of course, after all Maseratti doesn't make a truck) say $1,500-3,000 range depending on your love of the truck. Count on a fight, but in the end most major insurance companies will sign a check before sending a $200/hr lawyer out to your place to argue over such a small price. Plus you have the option to buy it back from the company and still make a truggy if you want.

#6 ·
Look through the car ads and copy and put together all the ones selling MJs. That will show the actual replacement value of the truck not KBB.
If they only offer you $300. then refuse it and sue the guy in court.
This happened to my brother when he got rear ended. They offered him like $400.00 for his totaled RX7 that he paid $1500. a few months earlier. He took em to court and the Ins company settled for the costs of a replacement in the Recycler ad. He actually ended up buying THAT car.

Also go to the "shady" engine rebuilder or two and see if they can write you up a back dated receipt for that newly rebuilt, custom bluebpinted engine you just put in two days before the knucklehead hit you. You know the t engine you just sunk $3k on:thumbsup:

#7 ·
FG ROCK said:
Also go to the "shady" engine rebuilder or two and see if they can write you up a back dated receipt for that newly rebuilt, custom bluebpinted engine you just put in two days before the knucklehead hit you. You know the t engine you just sunk $3k on:thumbsup:
Yeah baby...that's what I'm talking about!!!:laugh: :thumbsup:

#9 ·
Well, they did total it like I thought they would, and I ended up getting about $1K. That's real close to what we had in it, so I'm cool with that. The axle housing IS bent.
Thanks for all the advice!

#10 ·
Want another axle? which one you got?:D

#12 ·
BillR said:
It's a 2WD, so the front housing was just a tube.
I have a 2wd that I'm parting out, hence do you want another axle? lol

#13 ·
KBB is not the actual $$.... IF you can make a strong enough case against the $300 or whatever they are going to offer, OR simple stand put on the fact that you expect it to be rebuilt to the pre-crash condition. get estimates from "good" (expensive) shops and then just cash the check and do the work yourself... i hear P'n'P is having a sale...:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.