Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

MJ 2wd to 4x4 conversion and just a few questions...

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  LimeLJ 
#1 ·
The sons tranny went out. Ba/5 so we looked all over and could not find a 2wd ax15.
So this week found a xj 4wd 5 speed. 1990 and it has a ax15 under it.
So we're going to convert his truck over to 4wd.
We want to use 4.5" lift from zone. The kit comes with an add a leaf for the resr.
I'm curious how much lift does a SOA give?
Would the so a yield 4.5" lift or more? If it is close I'm betting an spring spacer
Would balance it out.
In thinking also about using parts from another xj we have since it has the 3.54 gears.
Would be better with the planned 32" tires.

The other question with a short wheel base how long is the rear drive shaft,
What is the chance that an xj rear shaft will work in the MJ?

We have to go pick up the parts xj Saturday.

#3 ·
Thanks. I can cut the original shaft if I have to.
Done it before was going to not have to.

Hmm SOA at say 5" would be about perfect but if it's 7 ouch.
Takes bug money to get the front that high....

#5 ·
If you are going SOA and AAL, you will be at the 7" range. I have read on www.comancheclub.com that SOA is around 6" to 6.5".

I add 3" with new springs from General Spring (still SUA). Also, Hell Creek is making MJ springs, again. Both offer comancheclub discounts.

#7 ·
Got the parts XJ home, but it did not drive the fellow replaced he head gasket but did not have the head checked, I showed up to look at it, and he pulled up it blowing steam everyone.
So out the door went my offer, and the floor boards was gone. Not normal for Arkansas.
So home it came yesterday on the car dolly with the wifes XJ towing it. My XJ does not tow well with its lift.
Today I got the tranny and transfer pulled and it have a new cat back exhaust so it came off to for my XJ.
So first hurdle is out of the way, now next weekend the conversion starts.
It will be assembled back as a 2WD ruck this time and in a month or so (when the boy saves some money) I will help him finish the conversion,
and lift.

#8 ·
Got the parts XJ home, but it did not drive the fellow replaced he head gasket but did not have the head checked, I showed up to look at it, and he pulled up it blowing steam everyone.
So out the door went my offer, and the floor boards was gone. Not normal for Arkansas.
So home it came yesterday on the car dolly with the wifes XJ towing it. My XJ does not tow well with its lift.
Today I got the tranny and transfer pulled and it have a new cat back exhaust so it came off to for my XJ.
So first hurdle is out of the way, now next weekend the conversion starts.
It will be assembled back as a 2WD ruck this time and in a month or so (when the boy saves some money) I will help him finish the conversion,
and lift.
What about turning a wk jeep 2wd into 4wd I really wanna make it into 4wd but there's a lot of dumb people here that you ask them nice and they give you a attitude response. And all I'm asking what parts recommend to make it 4wd.

#13 ·
anything is possible with money. a conversion for a xj/mj is just a shifter for the transfer case, transfer case, 4wd tranny, front driveshaft,front axle and a little wiring. a wk has ifs, which i know can be 4wd but i am unfamiliar with. i would imagine if you could find one in a junkyard and get parts off of it, it could be done, but it might actually be easier to buy a 4wd. theoretically, you would need a transfer case, a driveshaft to run to the front, a front diff(i am assuming they are diff's), cv axles, possibly new knuckles(unsure on that). or do a sfa swap, but for that you would need to talk to somone who has done that. once again, i am no good with ifs.

#16 ·
SOA in the rear will net the width of the axle tube plus the height the new perches standing off the axle plus the width of the springs. Mine was a perfect 5.5" on a D44 rear using 2.5" perches from Ruff Stuff Specialties.

The rear drive shaft will have to be custom. It will be around 41" for a 5.5" lifted 4WD with a D44 or Chrysler 8.25. That should give an idea of what will work with your existing parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.