milage anniversary! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > milage anniversary!

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 11-03-2008, 06:15 AM   #1
Douglas
1987 MJ Comanche 

milage anniversary!

Be listening! Won't be long! My 87 'manche will turn 300,000 young in less than a 1000! Yeeha! BTW, my 94 cherokee will turn 250,000 young today, Nov 3, while wife and I drive home from Kansas City! These are our only two cars!

Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
Pete M
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
Be listening! Won't be long! My 87 'manche will turn 300,000 young in less than a 1000! Yeeha! BTW, my 94 cherokee will turn 250,000 young today, Nov 3, while wife and I drive home from Kansas City! These are our only two cars!
Awesome. Is it still the original block and heads? Any major work done to it? How many of those miles are from while in your possession?
3 of my 4 MJs are over 200k, but none are in active daily driver service so the mileage won't get much higher anytime soon. My 97 hryser minivan (the C fell off) has 208k and still gets used, so there's hope that it'll someday get to 300k.

You should tell the guys at the Comanche Club. You might even have the record.
My email: petermontie@hotmail.com
ComancheClub.com/forums
Pete M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2008, 04:12 PM   #3
Snowplow
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a sticky, for a high miliage club. my 86 MJ has just hit 200000 on the 2.8 v6
Snowplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2008, 08:55 AM   #4
Douglas
1987 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete M View Post
Awesome. Is it still the original block and heads? Any major work done to it? How many of those miles are from while in your possession?
3 of my 4 MJs are over 200k, but none are in active daily driver service so the mileage won't get much higher anytime soon. My 97 hryser minivan (the C fell off) has 208k and still gets used, so there's hope that it'll someday get to 300k.

You should tell the guys at the Comanche Club. You might even have the record.
As far as I know, the comanche has the original block and heads, but rebuilt about 15,000 ago. I had the time to let it sit and the funds, and since with that many miles a 117 hp 4 popper probably was running at less that 100 hp (headwinds up hill on the interstate required full throttle), I sent it to S&S engine in Kent Washington, they give a 7 year warranty, but had them add a Delta Camshaft that's a short step up from stock in lift and duration. Put Clifford header on it, but that has been a major headache with their refusal to admit it hitting the block was their fault.
I bought in with about 240,000 on it while living in the Puget Sound area. It was native to that area. When I got it, it had "green stuff" all over the white paint, the interior was wet, and it had been used as a work truck. It had sat for a while in the back of the carlot but when I started it, no lifter or rod noise, and the clutch gave no weird noises, and all the syncro's in the 4 speed felt good. Underneath, it was a solid truck, with good paint, and no rust at all. Paid 1,100 for it. I scrubbed all the green gunk off it, pulled out all the interior and dried it out and used mildew killer on everything, have rebuilt the brakes, put a new steering gear in it, but everything else, except for the rebuilt engine, is original.
My Cherokee 4x2 we bought new. The only work to it other than normal stuff has been bearings in the differential, new radiator, starter, water pump, and crank sensor. It has the original alternator still, and on startup after an oil change, even if I forget to put oil in the oil filter, there is no rod or lifter clatter before the light goes off. Oh, yea, had to put a new headliner in. The old material came unglued.
Both have been the best autos I have ever owned.
Unread 11-08-2008, 10:53 AM   #5
Douglas
1987 MJ Comanche 

Thought I would add this: How many of you were driving when it was common for an engine to be done for by 100,000 miles, that by 70,000 you should consider selling or trading it in because soon it would be a piece of junk?
Unread 11-08-2008, 07:53 PM   #6
Snowplow
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Of course we are driving now days, todays trucks are done at 50,000
Snowplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2008, 08:08 AM   #7
Douglas
1987 MJ Comanche 

Well, it made it. Pulled into my garage last night with 300055 on the OD.
Unread 11-26-2008, 05:20 PM   #8
SoloCamo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
Well, it made it. Pulled into my garage last night with 300055 on the OD.
Glad to see the 4 banger hanging on with the 4.0's in the high mileage department! Congrats!
Tires: Firestone "Firehawk Indy 500" 235/70/15's
SoloCamo is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.