Might buy a comanche - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Might buy a comanche

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 11-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
Danruff93

Might buy a comanche

There is a 87 or 88 Comanche my uncles friend might be selling
I'm a ford guy I have never done anything with jeeps is there anything I gotta look out for if I buy it

And here's a pic of my 97 and 2000 f150

image-1139089959.jpg  
Danruff93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 11:46 PM   #2
ftpiercecracker
1990 MJ Comanche 

Rust. RUST. RUST.
Depending on what your after if you want something with a little "get up and go" the 4.0 inline six is the only way to go. Other wise the 2.5 4cyl is the next best thing, utterly bomb proof, its just about as powerful as a pencil sharpener.

Things you want to check out. . .
Make sure its starts, runs, and drives.
Burns oil? how bad.
Loses coolant? how much.
Strange sounds? How loud how bad.
Clean title? why not.
Mileage?
Service records?

Overpriced and Totally rusted/dented/wrecked beyond repair are about the only things that would drive me away from buying a comanche. Everything else can be readily fixed.

Also, pictures help immensely
ftpiercecracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 04:21 AM   #3
Danruff93

I didn't really get to look at it too much I didn't see much rust and it is 4x4 would it have the 4.0
I know with the 97-03 f150s you hardly see any big v8 5.4 in 2wd is it the same for these

And I'm not too concerned with doing some engine work or body work I just rebuilt the engine in my 2000 and I'm going to school auto body right now
Unread 11-28-2012, 04:24 AM   #4
Danruff93

Is there anything I need to check before I run it much cause with these 97-03 f150s they have been known to blow out spark plugs anything like that I need to be aware of
Unread 11-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
97_4popper
1990 MJ Comanche 

The place to really check for rust is the frame underneath and the floor pans.
Everywhere else it rusts is readily visible. Around the flares, below the doors, etc.

4X4 doesn't mean it has a 4.0. It could be a 2.5. If it is a manual transmission, check for hydraulic leakage. The slave cylinder will leak inside the bellhousing.
The master cylinder will leak behind the fuse panel under the dash. If it has not been maintained, it will most likely leak oil from a number of places. Valve cover, rear main, oil pan, etc. All easily fixed but many times ignored by owners.

Other than that, just check as cracker said. No weird noises from the driveline. check for frame alignment.

Get as much history as you can.

These are really reliable trucks and can be maintained forever if you want. The motors and driveline parts are readily available.

From the doors forward, everything from a Cherokee will interchange. From behind the doors, the Comanche stuff is unique.

Go over to comancheclub.com. Everything you ever wanted to know about these trucks is over there.

Good Luck and post pics if you buy it.
Check out comancheclub.com...
My build thread: http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewt...hp?f=7&t=27756
Wifes: 97 TJ 2.5 4X4 5sp 31's stock. . . Slow but; reliable.
97_4popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 09:58 PM   #6
ftpiercecracker
1990 MJ Comanche 

Forgot to mention it before, but i dig the black ford Danruff and i'm not what you'd call a ford man.
ftpiercecracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 03:45 AM   #7
Danruff93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftpiercecracker
Forgot to mention it before, but i dig the black ford Danruff and i'm not what you'd call a ford man.
Yea me too that's the one I blew the engine and I'm starting the body work to paint it

Here is how she sits now
image-1801952934.jpg   image-2938467508.jpg   image-1118706928.jpg  
Unread 12-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #8
ExgrayXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danruff93 View Post
Yea me too that's the one I blew the engine and I'm starting the body work to paint it

Here is how she sits now
Oddly, when I think of Atlantic City, the terrain I picture doesn't look like that...
Unread 12-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #9
Danruff93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExgrayXJ

Oddly, when I think of Atlantic City, the terrain I picture doesn't look like that...
O yea I'm in Greensboro nc right now for school I have family down here

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.