Low Amps When Trying to Start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Low Amps When Trying to Start

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOconeeoffroad.com Prothane bushing sale Blowing out inventPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 11-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
Druttkay
1988 MJ Comanche 

Low Amps When Trying to Start

So, I have replaced the Starter, Battery, and Cables a few times each since people keep telling me that's the problem, but it never fixes it.

Basically, whenever I turn the key to the start position, it gets such low amps that the starter can't crank over the flywheel. It trys, but fails to get even one rotation out of it. I had the starting system tested, and it said I was working with something like 30 amps on start from an 800cca battery. I have cleaned every contact known to man on the engine and body, including the big 3.

Whenever I cross the starter posts with a wrench, I can get it to turn just fine, like nothing was wrong with it. It also starts perfectly when attached to another car via jumper cables. Originally, it only had this problem after driving for a while, and even then, it didn't happen often. Then it gradually progressed to the point where it happened only when the truck was hot or had been run. Let it sit for ten, and it would start fine. Now, it won't start at all. I have to put my key in the run postition and start it by arcing the starter.

Anybody have any ideas? It's been like this for months now, and I can't get anywhere with it. Any help would be appreciated.

It has an I6 engine with an AX15

Druttkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
ftpiercecracker
1990 MJ Comanche 

I feel like should know the answer to this, but it escapes me at the moment. However, in the meantime if you dont get an answer here go over to Comanche club.com and post your question there. If there is any place that can help that is the place to be.
ftpiercecracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2012, 05:03 AM   #3
DeejayZeejay
1994 ZJ 

It seems like it has to be in line with the ignition and starter. Voltage drop maybe. Sounds like your not getting the proper juice to the starter... I'm pretty sure mine is starting to do this as well. Keep us posted.
Unread 11-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
Druttkay
1988 MJ Comanche 

I'm a member on Comancheclub too, and I started trying to figure this out a while back, but nobody could give me anything.
Druttkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Hm. I feel like I answered this very question on this very board, within the last few days...

When I advised to check the resistance of the connections - that included the starter motor solenoid trigger lead and probably the relay terminals - if you've got excessive resistance there, that could cause the solenoid to not fully pull in, which could cause the primary terminals for the starter motor to not fully close. This would be a problem independent of the starter motor...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.