Looking for a point in the right direction - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Looking for a point in the right direction

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe ALL NEW Factor 55 ProLink Winch Shackle Mounts availabFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-26-2006, 10:49 AM   #1
Trickytim444

Looking for a point in the right direction

Age old question im sure has been asked before but i cant find what looking for with the search.
Is it possible to find my 88 4.0, 5spd, 4x4, shortbed comanche a 6" suspension lift for under 800 dollars in parts? Excluding wheels, tires, alignment....

i was looking at this one.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-...spagenameZWD1V

let me know...thanks in advance

Trickytim444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2006, 12:08 PM   #2
Trickytim444

no one has any suggestions or ideas?
Trickytim444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2006, 08:51 PM   #3
workaholic

First off, i'll say only take what I say worth a grain of salt as I am by no stretch of the imagination a 4x4 expert. now with that said, I looked at this kit and to me it just seemed to have band aid fixes to some crucial parts.

Ex:

3" spring and a 3" spacer up front (why not a full 6" spring?)

extended brake lines (why not new stainless lines that are 6-8" longer than stock?)

no new front lower control arms (I have heard that is a big no no with that size of a lift)

Personally i'm a big fan of the rear SOA bolt on kit they offer.

I imagine that the kit works great IMHO alot of it would have to do with weather you are comfortable driving a truck that is lifted in that manner or not.

Tom
workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2006, 09:45 PM   #4
DirtyCommanche
Web Wheeler

That kit is garbage, IMHO. I've posted regarding it before.

Personally, I think you could put together a better 'kit' for under $800.

Do you have any fab skills? The rear SOA is easy, just weld some spring perches on top of the axle. The front is more ugly in that you'll probably want at least longer LCAs and probably UCAs if you want to have any caster at all. And you'll need a track bar/bracket. Then springs and shocks. And brake lines front and rear.

Just forget about that swaybar nonsense too. And that ******* brake prop valve.

It's that or buy this kit and do what they want and add a ****load of shims behind the LCAs to get the caster close. Not smart.
DirtyCommanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2006, 10:10 PM   #5
cj7xjmj

In order to do 6" correctly there are 2 routes. Long arms or drop brackets. I have run both types of suspension, and both had pluses and minuses.

For around the 800 dollar mark,

RE Drop Brackets. You will need to fab your own drop bracket supports as the ones RE sells wont work with the MJ upfront.

RE HD trac bar and mount

Rusty's 6.5 springs

DT3000 shocks 28", with JKS bayonet eliminators

Crown front brake lines 30"

For the rear you will need some SOA perches, and a 30" brake line

You can use your stock upper and lower control arms with the Drop brackets and have zero issues. I do recommend welding some plate on the bottom sides this will stiffen them and prevent nasty things from happening.

I ran that very setup till I went to Terra long arms. Some ppl say that Terra Flex upgrade LA kit isn't worth a poo, but I have yet to see what they are running Yes it uses a parrallel 4 link, instead of the radias arm setup. both setups have pluses and minuses.

BTW I used all the same parts on my rig still except I am running LA's now
If you have to ask why... Its a truggy thing and you wouldn't understand
cj7xjmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2006, 05:33 PM   #6
workaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7xjmj
In order to do 6" correctly there are 2 routes. Long arms or drop brackets. I have run both types of suspension, and both had pluses and minuses.

RE Drop Brackets. You will need to fab your own drop bracket supports as the ones RE sells wont work with the MJ upfront.

RE HD trac bar and mount

Rusty's 6.5 springs

You can use your stock upper and lower control arms with the Drop brackets and have zero issues. I do recommend welding some plate on the bottom sides this will stiffen them and prevent nasty things from happening.

I ran that very setup till I went to Terra long arms. Some ppl say that Terra Flex upgrade LA kit isn't worth a poo, but I have yet to see what they are running Yes it uses a parrallel 4 link, instead of the radias arm setup. both setups have pluses and minuses.

great info!! who is RE?

Tom
Unread 04-28-2006, 05:34 PM   #7
MISFIT

SCREW THE COILS AND GET SOME LEAVES!!! :rolling:

if cheap is what you're looking for, find some junkyard leaves and throw them on. you'll need to fab a front spring hanger and if you're any good at fabbing, you can use your stock LCA bracket to mount the leaves in (now, the shackle would be on the front of the frame. IMO, it's great off-road, but sorta sucks on-road). the rear is easy, just weld new perches on it (correcting the pinion-angle while you're at it). a SOA on the rear will give you ~5-6" of lift. if you want more, just throw in some AAL's.

$.02
MISFIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2006, 05:35 PM   #8
MISFIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholic
great info!! who is RE?

Tom
RUBICON EXPRESS!!!
MISFIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2006, 05:17 PM   #9
workaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7xjmj

RE HD trac bar and mount

Rusty's 6.5 springs

are there drop brackets you wouldn't need to fab anything for? and if so what brackets would you need?

Tom

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.