Looking to buy a manche! What do you think about this one? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Looking to buy a manche! What do you think about this one?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
RedneckJacob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Looking to buy a manche! What do you think about this one?

Hello manche world! I really want to start a new project and want an mj to be next! Well I found one about an hour away. It is an 86 longbed:/ Im not big a fan of long beds but we will see what you guys say.. He says it is rust free but I haven't pulled the carpet. Its the 2.5 4 cylinder stick. The block is cracked on the motor and he has it listed for 750 obo. what do you all think? Id love to put a 4.0 in it but not sure of everything that, that entails. any information and opinions are welcomed please! and i would definitely be repainting it...

thanks!!

Unread 02-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
RedneckJacob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

oh and it is already 4wd!
Unread 02-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
Irongrave
1992 YJ Wrangler 

do it. find a rear ended 97+ XJ and swap everything over into the Comanche
1997 TJ, Dad's Claytons 4:88s and stuff A TJ for Dad
1992 YJ crawler, getting 60s. Build thread the illusion of progress
North Jersey Jeep Club, AtoZ Fabrication, Rozzo Fabrication
Irongrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
RedneckJacob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

How do you guys like the longbeds?
Unread 02-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
86customanche
1992 MJ Comanche 

You'll find mixed opinions. I would like it as a road truck since its more cargo space. But if youre planning on making it a trail truck, the short bed is much better. It really is up to you. Youre going to find pros and cons about both. What are your long term plans for the truck? That would help others give you their opinions.
Unread 02-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
RedneckJacob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

My bad I should of included that. I'd really like to make it my daily driver. But I want it to be capable as well of road. Kind of a dd weekend warrior. I have a yj so this can be a project for a while. But I'd like to keep the YJ clean to pass down someday. May sound dumb but my dad wishes he had
Done that for me. So I'd look for the 97 and up swap. It would take me a great deal of time but I think it'd be worth it? I can paint. I painted my yj gun metal grey so the manche would be no problem. I'd like to finish everything else before paint though. 99 mj is way more offload based than I would want mine. More like Rymanrph 90 mj build is the stance I would go for
Unread 02-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #7
Garvin
1986 MJ Comanche 

Short beds are definitely the way to go if you really want to wheel it. Kinda wish I started with a short bed but I couldn't pass up the deal on mine. Swapping a newer style drive train into an '86 is a good bit of work. I've heard mixed things on if you need to massage the firewall to make it fit. From look at my '92 and '86, it really does look you have to. The front radiator for the 4.0L is not a straight bolt in either. You will need to make some brackets and do some clearancing on the frame to get that in there (I chopped the hell out of mine to get that rad in there). You will need basically everything from a donor (drive train plus complete wiring). You might also need to get your drive shaft cut down since the '86's have the longest of all the Comanche drive shafts for a 4wd equipped one.
Roll Bar, 15/38.5R16.5 Ground Hawgs, Bastard lift (Custom 3-link long arm system, 4.5" Rusty's front springs w/ 1.75" spacers and 6.5" RC shocks, SOA rear), Dana 60HP/Sterling 10.25, 4.10's, Recessed winch, more mods to come...

[B]1992 Jeep Comanche 174000+ miles[/B]
Short Bed, 4.0L I6 HO, AX15, NP231
In the process of doing a frame up restoration.

...RIP...
[B]1990 Jeep Cherokee XJ 207774 miles[/B]
4.0L I6, AW4, NP231. Tom Woods SYE and Drive Shaft, Rusty's 8.0" Long Arm Suspension Lift, 36/13.5R15 Super Swamper IROK's, Dana 30 Front, Tube Diff Guard, Dana 44 Rear, 4.56 gears, Ox Locker, disc brake conversion
Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #8
RedneckJacob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well I recently found a much better one. An 89 short bed with 4.0 5 speed with 121,000 miles. It is 2wd but the trannys slave cylinder is going out so I found a 90 yj ax15 and could get an np231 fairly easily. It's paint is pretty crummy black but I plan on repainting it anyway. This one he is sending oddly the letter to get a title back so it's kind of a sticky situation. It is cheap. I wondered if it would be worth it to buy it with no title if he can't get it and swap vin numbers with a 97+ xj but they are hard to come by around here. Hopefully he can get the title and I will swap trannys and drive it while doing minor stuff and then rebuild
Unread 02-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #9
automan2164
1986 MJ Comanche 

For the trans, you will have to "Massage" the passenger side floor to clear the t-case. Wranglers have a slightly different clocking on the t-case, and it will hit the floor. As for the title... That's a slippery slope. I would talk to your DMV and see what it's like to change VIN's legally first. Some states don't even require a title on something so old. For titling it as a Cherokee, good luck with that. I would find another Comanche to do that if you were going to swap VIN plates. At least then you would be in the same make/model. No one may ever question it, but not many will go as far as finding the hidden stampings on the frame. If someone were to look at the VIN and see it belonged to a Cherokee, they wouldn't have to do anything besides have a brain to figure out that it's wrong.

If you head over to the Comanche club (www.comancheclub.com/forums) there are a few awesome threads on changing the header support from the '86 to the '87+ style.
Rob
automan2164 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.