lift kit, and brakes. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > lift kit, and brakes.

Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High ClearanIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 02-18-2005, 04:32 PM   #1
motorheadmach1
1990 XJ Cherokee 

lift kit, and brakes.

i just bought an 89 comanche with a rough country lift i dont knwo the exact size i think its like 3 inches. the rear beakes have some sort of weight sensing proportioning valve and with the lift installation it came disconnectd from it mount. i was wondering how to bypass this or modify it to work with the lift.

thanks andrew

motorheadmach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2005, 06:15 PM   #2
rustybottoms

Dude, I think I've got the same thing! I was wondering what that little contraption was for. Sorry I can't help, but I look forward to seeing if anyone else can answer this question for us.
rustybottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2005, 09:22 PM   #3
trkibbler
1988 MJ Comanche 

Got a Rancho 3" lift on my 88 Comanche. Bought the truck in 93 and the Height sensing proportioning valve has been disconected the whole time. Don't know if the original owner did it or whoever istalled the lift but I never seemed to have any problems. I take the brakes apart about every 4 months and all that seems to happen is a little glazing on the pads. Most of that is caused by quick stops and the type of rims i'm running which reduce the amount of air to the brakes.
If you want i can get a picture of how it looks disconnected and send them.

Terry
trkibbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2005, 02:02 AM   #4
rustybottoms

That would be terrific Terry. I don't know about motorhead, but I would definitely like to see pics. thanks.
Unread 02-19-2005, 04:12 AM   #5
1986Comanche
1986 MJ Comanche 

My 1986 Comanche has a height sensing proportioning valve on the back too.

Blue Jeep Club Member #123

Easy to be a truck. Hard to be a Jeep.
1986Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2005, 04:33 AM   #6
cj7xjmj

All I did with m ine was to turn it up verticle, and zip tie it there. I have yet to have any ill side effects yet.

Patrick
If you have to ask why... Its a truggy thing and you wouldn't understand
cj7xjmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2005, 11:15 PM   #7
rustybottoms

Color me clueless, but wtf is a height sensing proportioning valve?
Unread 02-20-2005, 01:01 AM   #8
1986Comanche
1986 MJ Comanche 

The height sensing proportioning valve changes the braking power to the rear as the differential goes up with a load so that it has better braking power for the rear because of the load and so that the braking is better proportioned. Rather than having alot of weight in the back and still having the front brakes do all the work and the load pushing you.

Unread 02-20-2005, 01:26 AM   #9
1986Comanche
1986 MJ Comanche 

That is my understanding of it, but my Factory Workshop Manual says: The height sensing proportioning valve provides optimum brake balance and efficiency. It senses light and heavy payload conditions and modifies front-to-rear proportioning to provide a balanced system at any load. The valve is connected through a mechanical linkage system to the rear axle and responds to vehicle heights as related to the vehicle load.

Unread 02-20-2005, 11:47 PM   #10
badron

I pull a big popup and would not be without it. If you run empty or light most of the time you will never mis it.
badron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2005, 03:09 AM   #11
cj7xjmj

The thing is once you lift your MJ you change the angle of the proportioning valve unless you change the length of the rod that connects to the differential. Personally if you wanted to go through all that trouble you need to measure the angle of it stock, then modify the rod length to make it long enough.

Patrick
If you have to ask why... Its a truggy thing and you wouldn't understand
cj7xjmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2005, 08:11 PM   #12
trkibbler
1988 MJ Comanche 

Sorry everyone. I know that i said I would post pics on how mine is set up, but it isn't gonna happen. After i finally found the digital cam i've spent the past few days trying to get it to work just to be informed by my five year old that she spilt some soda on it and washed it off in the kitchen sink. Kids gotta love em'

Anyway just to let you know it is turned up vertical not zip tied or anything like patrick said his was but it is pointing straight up.
trkibbler is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.