Lift for 31X10.5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Lift for 31X10.5

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 02-22-2005, 07:13 AM   #1
75SV1

Lift for 31X10.5

I bought some used 31 X 10.5 X 15 BFG tires and Canyon rims over the weekend. I've looked at various lift kits/systems for the Cherokee and Comanche. Some vary as to the recomended lift for a 31 size tire. Some of the kits are 4.5 inch lifts and do a SOA conversions. I was wondering how the ride and stability is. Also, would it be a better option to just get a D35 from a Cherokee 4 banger (4.10 ratio)? This is going to be a Daily Driver and light trails. OK, call me a wimp if you want. Would it be best to get a kit or round up parts? If rounding up parts, please list suggestions. I don't think a LA is what I want.
Tom
Edit: I am also look at replacing the D35. I was planning on using a Ford 9, but might change my mind to finding a D44 or the Explorer axle.

Last edited by 75SV1; 02-22-2005 at 07:30 AM..
75SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2005, 07:53 AM   #2
Tri_X_Troll
1986 MJ Comanche 

you probably won't break the D35 with 31's, and if you have the 4.0 you shouldn't need to regear. I in will get you 31's on a comanche/xj and if you have 4x4 you'll have to get a 4.10 front or you'll only be able to drive it in soupy mud.
Unread 02-22-2005, 07:58 AM   #3
Tri_X_Troll
1986 MJ Comanche 

yeah, I have a tj and mj's are a little different, but if you figure that they're about like an xj and and xj is about like a ford explorer and explorers come stock with similar gearing and 30's, then 31's shouldn't have much of an effect on it.
Unread 02-22-2005, 07:59 AM   #4
Tri_X_Troll
1986 MJ Comanche 

it's too damn early and I'm bouncing off the walls from the grande mocha latte that I got at starbucks on the way in.
Unread 02-22-2005, 08:16 AM   #5
75SV1

I guess I should add its a manual tranny. I'm swapping in a NV3550. So, my present D35 should be a 3.08 ratio. I have a D35 off a Cherokee, but haven't check its ratio. I am going to try and fit a D300 as the transfer case, so I don't think an SYE is needed.
Tom
Unread 02-22-2005, 10:12 AM   #6
jjabell2000
2002 TJ Wrangler 

4.5 inches is way more than you need for 31's. Maybe spacers in the front and an add a leaf in the rear would be the way to go for 31's.

With a spring over and the stock spring pack (No add a leaf) I ran 33 x 12.50.

3.08 gears suck with any size tires so I don't know what to tell you there. It should be liveable with 31's though.

The cherokee axle will need new spring perches welded on, so you may as well hunt down a better axle while you are at it (8.8 is what I did). Then you will need matching gears in the front end.
jjabell2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2005, 10:56 AM   #7
BRC 88MJ

If don't really want to cut fenders, a 3" suspension lift works just fine with 31s (had the same setup on my old XJ). If you're willing to trim, look at getting a budget boost and cut your fenders until the 31s fit without rubbing. I had 3.55 gears and the auto tranny and highway manners and wheeling ability were still pretty good.

As for gears, if you don't want to go away from the D35 then find some used 3.55, 3.73, or 4.10 gears from a junkyard MJ or XJ and get them installed. Otherwise, I'd start looking for an 8.8 or D44 to replace your D35. Good deals can be had if you just do some lookin'.
BRC 88MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2005, 12:35 PM   #8
cj7xjmj

Ok here is what I ahve done to My Mj through its build up. I did a 2" BB and ran 31x10.5, with the stock turbine rims. I rubbed a lil on the lower arms. I believe with the correct back spacing I would have been fine.

Then I went big.. I did a lot of work to get this way. First I installed RE drop brackets and Rusty's 6.5 coils, RE HD trac bar and mount, 3" DP arm. In the rear, I did a long shackle and a AAL. This worked with a lil bit of rear lean.

Then I destroyed my D35, got water in the axle and didnt know it. So I took a xj axle and swapped it underneath, not knowing about the difference in width. Now a few months later I am getting ready to swap in an 8.8 .

As for what I would do if I was you. If all you want is 3", go buy a lift kit of your choice and tell them it is for an MJ, Pretty much the only way you are going to be able to lift it is with a shackle and a AAL. You might need a longer rear brake line, for the front you can move the mount lower and it should suit you fine, unless you want to spend 70 bucks for longer front lines. As for the trac bar, buy an adjustable one, and callit good. Don't bother with drilling a whole further over.

On to the axle question. As for price, a 8.8 will run you 4 - 500 bucks plus the needed conversion parts. which will run another 250 from what I read. My parts have not gotten that high yet, but I am not finished yet. A front axle w 4.10 will run about 300. That is what I would do, it is cheaper to swap the hole thing out then it is to buy gears, install kit, and possibly a new carrier depending on the gears you all ready have. Also if you don't have the tools or the skills to install gears, it can be a daunting task.

I went that route before I was going to do the 8.8. I have a non c lip 35 and CAD D30 with 4.10's. I will put these under my 89 MJ, but that is still down the road a lil. I have to keep my trail rig in top shape first.

Patrick
If you have to ask why... Its a truggy thing and you wouldn't understand
cj7xjmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2005, 07:06 AM   #9
75SV1

Thanks for the advice. I haven't settled on a choice yet. I looked at the various lift kits available for the MJ. Basically, they are 3 inch lifts or 4.5 and higher. What I did notice is the lift kits for the Cherokees between 3 and 4.5 use 3 inch springs. I would amagine they space them up with the polyurathane spring pads, then level them with longer shackles in the rear, in addition to the AAL. So, I'll get a 3 inch lift kit and see what I end up with. I am thinking Black Diamond or Superlift at the moment. I am not sure about the rear end and gearing. I do have a Ford 9 with disk out of a Lincoln (not Versailles) floating around somehwere. I think this might be a good way to go. I'd probably have to change gears, but I don't think they are thay bad on a Ford 9 as on others. The only problem would be that the larger OD on the axle tubes would lower the rear (SUA). Still, I could compensate with longer shackles. Its a plan. I'll let you know how it turns out. Also, this is part of a larger project. Its suppose to be warm this weekend, so maybe I'll be over this cold I got and swap out the engine and stuff. Also, on gearing I noticed a nice chart on Rough Countries site. Shows recomended ratios for tire sizes. They also show RPM @ 65mph and wheather milage, daily driver or offroad.
Thanks again,
Tom
Edit: The cost of rearends with 4:10 or 4:11 ratio seems to be a lot higher than other rear ends of the same type. This was from prices on Car-Parts. Kind of sways me to use the Ford 9.

Last edited by 75SV1; 02-24-2005 at 08:57 AM..
Unread 02-24-2005, 10:42 AM   #10
cj7xjmj

I am not sure where you are from, But in my area of VA 4cyl, and 2.8 XJ/MJ's are cheap. Especially if not running. I just passed on one last month, it had 4.10's front and rear and the guy only wanted 250 for the whole thing. Another guy in the club just gave away a 2.8 jeep which had the 4.10's as well. so they are out there. Just keep your eyes open.

Patrick
Unread 02-24-2005, 01:02 PM   #11
75SV1

Patrick,
Thanks for the heads-up. I went on Car-Parts and there one in Ohio for $69. Still, thats probably a drive and at what point do I spend my money on what I really want. Sort of like the ALCAN springs in the other thread. A bit of money, but if its the final form of your creation, then its a bit easier to swallow. I wondered what they cost. For me the price isn't to bad, if I have everything else the way I want it. Still, a bunch of money if I plan on changes down the road. Also, have to look at the quality factor. I haven't heard of anyone complaining about those springs. Maybe, I can come up with an axle cheap around here. I have'nt called all the junkyards yet.
Tom
Unread 02-24-2005, 01:15 PM   #12
cj7xjmj

Tom,
Around here Pic a part places ussually sell them for around 150-500 depending on the axle and ratio. 3.08 and 31 is not ideal, but I have an 89 XJ with a 5spd and that is what I am running in it, and it does all right. I do have to down shift on longer hills, and I have no passing power unless I down shift, but it still gets decent gas mileage.

Patrick

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.