Leaf springs/ Revovlers? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Leaf springs/ Revovlers?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 02-23-2005, 01:43 PM   #1
yotakid

Leaf springs/ Revovlers?

i was wondering where a good place to get lift leaf springs made for a MJ (comanche)? I was also wondering what everyone thinks of running revovler shackles on a MJ in the rear?
Thank You,
Justin

yotakid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2005, 01:56 PM   #2
cj7xjmj

I am currently, actively looking into this. You can try www.alcansprings.com I have heard that they are about the best, but you need deep pockets to afford them.

Onto the revolvers. In order to run revolvers, you need to do a lot of work. First, you would have to change your shock mounts, and build a shock crossmember. Then you would need to get longer brake,vent, and e-brakes cables. Then you would need to get a driveshaft with a long slip spline. Just to gain the ability to flex a lil more. I really don't think it would be worth it. I run a long shackle 83/4", and I have a lot of flex, w/o the problem of the revolvers unloading, and I don't need a limit strap.

IMO it is hardly worth the money, but it all comes down to what you want.

Patrick
If you have to ask why... Its a truggy thing and you wouldn't understand
cj7xjmj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2005, 02:00 PM   #3
MJDriver

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have any pictures of your set up? I'm thinking about doing the same thing.
MJDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2005, 02:31 PM   #4
yotakid

do you think the stock shackle would work fine if i had leafs made for a 8in lift(sprung over)? sorry no pics my truck is sitting on jack stands in the garage with no axles or tranny or t case lol. but i will be running a narrowed 9" with disc brake(no ebrake ) and a waggy 44 front with custom long arms and the tnt bellypan with the contol arm mounts. probably 37 mtrs( maybe 38.5 sxs prolly not tho)
Unread 02-24-2005, 07:47 AM   #5
cj7xjmj

I just got a quote for what I wanted from alcan, and it was 190 a spring So i don't think I am going to go that way. I think I am going to try and get some made Locally.

My setup is a SOA conversion, and the Long shckle. I am not sure how much lift it auctually is, but I know I have a slight forward rake. If you were to do A soa swap , you should get about 5-6" inches depending on whose spring perches you use. I am not sure of whose shackle I got, but I know It is Long as hell. AT full flex it shortens my driveshaft by almost 3/4 of an inch. That doesn't sound like much, but that is a lot.

Pics of my setup should be on my webshots site. if there isn't a clear pic you want, just let me know and i will get you one. Keep in mind you are going to have to do this quick, as I am preparing to swap in an 8.8 real soon

Patrick
Unread 02-24-2005, 07:51 AM   #6
75SV1

Is that $190 per leaf or $190 per side?
Tom
75SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2005, 10:21 AM   #7
yotakid

so when you say kind aon the expensive side how much have you found them for??190/pc doesn't sounds super bad
Unread 02-24-2005, 11:21 AM   #8
cj7xjmj

Thats per side. That makes the springs 380 plus shipping If that doesnt sound high.. I dont know what is. Compared to what I have paid for some of my parts, you are right, But remember I am only trying to run a shorter shackle. There really isn't anything wrong with the setup I have. That price was quoted for 2" over stock too.

Patrick
Unread 02-24-2005, 11:39 AM   #9
yotakid

yeah they quoted me the same thing 190 for what i wanted i was wondering what you have found onb some prices on leafsprings?
Unread 02-24-2005, 11:52 AM   #10
75SV1

I think you have to compare that to a full spring set, before you say its high. I'd comapre them to the full leaf sets offered on some of the lift kits. I think they add about $325 to a lift kit. So a bit higher than that, but these are custom springs, so not out of line. OK, more than what you need to spend, though.
Tom
Edit: I looked at Rusty's website. Full springs 3 inch lift $229, 4.5 inch lift $259 and 6 inch lift $299. These are for Cherokees, though. I am unaware of full spring sets for Comanches.

Last edited by 75SV1; 02-24-2005 at 01:23 PM..
75SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.