Just got a Comanche!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Just got a Comanche!!!

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
southpaw26

Just got a Comanche!!!

Just picked up a Comanche and I am super excited to fix this bad boy up some!! It is a 4.0 4x4 with Automatic Transmission. I am sure I will have some questions along the way. Wish me luck.

southpaw26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
ftpiercecracker
1990 MJ Comanche 

Have fun! and welcome to the madness. First step, CAD fix, then WJ brake upgrade, then a D44, and then and then and then. . . the list goes on and oon and ooooon
ftpiercecracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
Hoobah
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Very nice! I myself have a wrangler, but I hope to have one of these at some point or another, along with a waggy, and an xj, and a cj.
Looks like I need to get a better paying job haha
()_)-()_)-o-)_)
Hoobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 11:02 PM   #4
theguywithjeeps
1989 MJ Comanche 

no worries. these trucks are easy to work on and they last forever. just do some reserch before you start your project.
theguywithjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 12:03 AM   #5
southpaw26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftpiercecracker View Post
Have fun! and welcome to the madness. First step, CAD fix, then WJ brake upgrade, then a D44, and then and then and then. . . the list goes on and oon and ooooon
Uh oh... You lost me already. What is a CAD fix? I am not sure about the brake upgrade. Mine stops pretty good. The pedal seems a little firm but all and all she stops good.
Unread 10-31-2012, 12:05 AM   #6
southpaw26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoobah View Post
Very nice! I myself have a wrangler, but I hope to have one of these at some point or another, along with a waggy, and an xj, and a cj.
Looks like I need to get a better paying job haha
I also have a pretty cool Wrangler TJ. I actually have a lot of vehicles. I am just a car lover to be totally honest. Come to think of it I love anything that has a motor!
Unread 10-31-2012, 06:45 AM   #7
97_4popper
1990 MJ Comanche 

Central Axle Disconnect. Jeeps feeble attempt to save a little mpg back in the day. They abandoned it in the early 90's. It is a common failure point on these rigs.
Basically the front axle is in 2 pieces. When you engage the transfer case via the shifter in the cab, the CAD slides a ring over onto the passenger side axle and engages it via vacuum.

The fix is to disassemble, move the ring over and lock it. It is very easy to do.
Takes about 10 minutes.

Then the axle is always engaged like all other jeeps since about 1992. It does absolutely no harm and has no effect on MPG. At least not measureable. There are writeups on how to do it.

Also go over to comancheclub.com. Everything you need to know about these trucks over there.
Check out comancheclub.com...
My build thread: http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewt...hp?f=7&t=27756
Wifes: 97 TJ 2.5 4X4 5sp 31's stock. . . Slow but; reliable.
97_4popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
southpaw26

Excellent. Thanks!
Unread 10-31-2012, 01:03 PM   #9
hjrivera
2002 KJ Liberty 

Hi 97_4popper, I have the same 1990 MJ with 4X4 and aut. trans. with that kind of problem when I try to engage the front axle. Thanks for the info, and I'll be looking for the writeup to do it ASAP on my MJ!!!

I think that I should browse this forum more often ...

And to Southpaw26, CONGRATS with your MJ!!! You'll enjoy a great truck for years to come. In my case, many people have tried to buy my truck but I refused all the offers... I don't wanna sell it, period!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_4popper View Post
Central Axle Disconnect. Jeeps feeble attempt to save a little mpg back in the day. They abandoned it in the early 90's. It is a common failure point on these rigs.
Basically the front axle is in 2 pieces. When you engage the transfer case via the shifter in the cab, the CAD slides a ring over onto the passenger side axle and engages it via vacuum.

The fix is to disassemble, move the ring over and lock it. It is very easy to do.
Takes about 10 minutes.

Then the axle is always engaged like all other jeeps since about 1992. It does absolutely no harm and has no effect on MPG. At least not measureable. There are writeups on how to do it.

Also go over to comancheclub.com. Everything you need to know about these trucks over there.
2008 Dodge Charger R/T Road & Track Edition
hjrivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
martin809
1997 ZJ 

Hey spouthpaw26 I am rebuilding a MJ right now. Look forward to seeing you around Chatttown. If you find any parts or any in the junkyards let me know. I have searched High and Low with no luck.
martin809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #11
DonBC
1989 MJ Comanche 

Good luck with your Comanche and since you already own a Jeep product you have a head start with some knowledge. Mine has tested me a couple of times and I just discovered this week that mine will not engage in FWD. Probably the CAD. With the dry summer that we had I have not tried to engage FWD since sometime in the spring. I have been noticing some clunks from the front suspension lately and I think that i need new front brake pads so it is time to jack the front end up and get every thing fixed before winter weather .
DonBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 06:28 AM   #12
97_4popper
1990 MJ Comanche 

Chunks from the front end could be loose stuff, not just brakes.

I had all kinds of noise in mine. Most of which was the track bar bracket and loose steering box. The track bar bracket is in the left fender well. 2 big bolts were loose.

Good Luck!
Check out comancheclub.com...
My build thread: http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewt...hp?f=7&t=27756
Wifes: 97 TJ 2.5 4X4 5sp 31's stock. . . Slow but; reliable.
97_4popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 07:55 PM   #13
southpaw26

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin809 View Post
Hey spouthpaw26 I am rebuilding a MJ right now. Look forward to seeing you around Chatttown. If you find any parts or any in the junkyards let me know. I have searched High and Low with no luck.
Excellent. What all parts are you looking for?
Unread 11-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #14
martin809
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw26 View Post
Excellent. What all parts are you looking for?
Tailgate. Mine is in pretty bad shape. Also need a Dana 30 with 3 55 gears. I check craigs list daily. I should be able to get the Dana pretty easy. Been doing body work for now.
martin809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2012, 11:41 AM   #15
southpaw26

I have a complete running 2000 4x4 XJ for sale very reasonable.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.