Just got a Comanche - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Just got a Comanche

Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic HalogFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Jeep Wrangler Hurricane Flat Fender Flare Kits for 2007-20

Unread 02-25-2005, 02:07 AM   #1
Lewis

Just got a Comanche

Hello all,
I just picked up an 89 Comanche a couple of days ago. It's a 4.0/AX15/NP231/D44. It's already got some kind of lift, looks like rancho shocks all the way around, rancho springs up front and AAL in the rear. Around 3-4". It's sitting on 31s right now. I've already ordered a 2" budget boost (spacer front, shackle rear) and I'm going for some 33s". I lucked into a truck that is in super shape, been restored from front to rear. The only thing that sucks is the horrible gearing. I haven't figured out yet if it's got 3.07 or 3.54, but I bet this thing could do 130 mph if it had the power. You have to do some major downshifting on hills. I'll be regearing and locking within a year.

Now I just have to sell my YJ. The boss (wife) was all for getting the comanche, but can't stand two 16 year old jeeps in the driveway. She's a libby driver, go figure.

Unread 02-25-2005, 06:47 AM   #2
MJDriver

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the club. Sounds like a nice rig. Post up so we can see it.

As for the gears, with the D44 you probably have 3.73's in it. That's according to the speak sheet.

I hear you in regards to slowness. I've got almost the same current set up as you and it jsut doesn't have the pull I need....4.10's are in order.
MJDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2005, 07:23 AM   #3
cj7xjmj

Welcome to the wonderful world of Long wheel base Jeeps. Now since you have gone long You will never go back

You have to keep in mind that jeep was known to do some different things back then. Just because the spec sheets says it should be this, doesn't mean it will be. Just personal experience. As for Adding a BB onto another lift, you might run into some problems with the upper and lower arms, also trac bar issues. Clearing 33's seems to take around 5-6" of lift, unless you want to do some serios trimming. I know I ran them with BB, for a couple of months cause I knew I was getting a used lift kit.

All of your Parts from your YJ will fit on the Comanche, like lockers, SYE and parts like that. Might be something to look into.

Patrick
If you have to ask why... Its a truggy thing and you wouldn't understand
cj7xjmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2005, 04:07 PM   #4
Lewis

I will try the BB and see what happens. I'm prepared to break out the sawz all on it. Part of the problem is that I don't really know how much lift is on it now. The guy I bought it from was older and used it for a daily driver and didn't really know much about jeeps. I had to crawl under it to see what rear axle it had because he didn't know. His receipt for the lift simply says that they put on Rancho XJ springs and control arms and AAL in the rear, but doesn't say what height. For most of the trails in Ky I could get by on some knobby 31"s, but I would really like to get to 33"s. We'll see. If wasn't a pain in the ***, then it wouldn't be a jeep.

I wouldn't mind pulling the SYE off my YJ, but I want to leave it mostly the way it is since some guys I wheel with might be interested in buying it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.