Just brought home yet another Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Just brought home yet another Jeep

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 09-24-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
NHJeepbuilder

Just brought home yet another Jeep

Well after a long time of wanting to be an owner of an MJ I finally bought one. It's an 88 short bed, i6 and 5spd, 129,000 on the clock.. It's going to be quite a project to get it on the road and road worthy for daily travel to work and back. Light to moderate wheeling. Have a YJ on 1 tons and 38.5's for the real fun stuff..

The plan for it so far:
Get it drivable, lift it(hybrid 6-7" lift), 35's, Cherokee front and rear axles(4.10gears), some sort of "back rack", build front and rear bumpers, winch up front. Frame stiffener for the cab and front section of the "frame" new lower control arm mounts, probably go with rufstuff for all that.

The good:
It's a Comanche.
Starts right up.
New clutch.
New tires(265 75 16R)
Brake components are all new(too bad I'm swapping the axles out)

The bad:
The paint...
No exhaust from the cat back.
Floors boards are non existent.
Frame is cracked on drivers side.
Rockers are gone but replaced with bondo.
High idle when started.
Hacked together front suspension(rear looks decent compared to the front).
Red interior.
Mismatched dash padding(red and grey).

This isn't my first jeep build and certainly won't be my last so I know what I'm getting myself into. I have a mildly built Cherokee on 33's (6.5" lift) as my daily driver and an on going YJ Buggy project...

I'm debating wether or not to keep the 16" rims(basically brand new soft 8's) or to sell them and get 15's.. Only because it seems like there is a better variety of tires for 15's.. I've only briefly looked at tires for the 16's.

Hope to hear back from you guys!

NHJeepbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sweet, post some photos.
Unread 09-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
Pete M
1988 MJ Comanche 

16s are becoming more common than 15s. you shouldn't have any trouble finding what you want (assuming new, used are alwasy a crap shoot)
My email: petermontie@hotmail.com
ComancheClub.com/forums
Pete M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 07:44 AM   #4
NHJeepbuilder

I've done more looking at tires new and used and have a decent amount that are 16" rims. I think I am going to keep them for the time being. For the rockers I am thinking about cutting out the rotted ones and using either 2x3 or 2x4 square tube and then I would have rocker protection and a solid rocker. How far up have people gone up to there doors with the square tube? And what did you use to make a seal on the bottom? This will be mostly a DD so I want it to be a fairly comfortable ride on the road..

I will get pictures as soon as I can, I have been busy with work and other non Jeep related things :/ For the time being I am just gathering the necessary parts so I can try to just do everything at once.
NHJeepbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
BIGHEEP
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I am looking forward to seeing what you do with it. I am picking up a new to me Comanche next weekend also. Its a 2wd 4.0L. I also have a YJ wheeling rig so I am unsure if I am going to make the MJ 4WD and lift it or make a 2WD hotrod.
Build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...igheep-534340/
North East Willy Jeep Organization
www.NEWJO.ORG
BIGHEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 05:23 AM   #6
billyzj
1994 ZJ 

i just got me a mj and looking foward too do the same stye build that your going for,subd
billyzj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.