Just bought me a '89 Comanche - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Just bought me a '89 Comanche

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 09-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
Nhagar

Just bought me a '89 Comanche

Ok I bought this truck more on a impulse than anything else. I have a 98 Cherokee RHD that I use for mail delivery. I have spent probably enough money on it to buy a new wrangler but I like my Cherokee. It gets around in the snow like no other.

Any ways I saw this Comanche and thought hey another 4wd and I think it is basically a truck body on a Cherokee chassis. And if it gets around like my Cherokee I will like it.

So I paid $600 for this pickup. Its an 89 4x4 with the 4cyl engine. auto trans. 191K.(my Cherokee has 190k and everyone of them is stop and go mail delivery miles)
Now for what I paid there are some issues.

1. Back glass has fell and/or knocked out. Gonna take it to glass shop Tuesday and have new glass put in.

2. Drivers door is locked up and can't get open. I took the panel off from inside truck and found part of the locking mechanism in bottom of door. any suggestions there?

3. 4wd isn't working correctly. I noticed that under the jeep the linkage for the 4wd has popped out of the bracket its supposed to be in. My Cherokee was the same way but it would still engage into 4H. I am gonna get that back to the way its supposed to be and test 4wd again.

4. Fuel gauge isn't working. I am gonna try and do some research and see what I can do to fix that. I am smart enough to not run out of gas but then again I don't want any chances. lol

other than those little things the truck seems to be a solid running truck. doesn't smoke and runs pretty smooth.

Nhagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
Nhagar

well got the door open. Will be needing a new door mechanism inside the door. Also will be welding the door latch pin back in the cab. Someone tried and pried on that door for hours and had tore the door latch up pretty bad.
Unread 09-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
MattWheels
1989 MJ Comanche 

I suggest a Slider for your back glass, When I get around to it on my Manche that's what I'll be doing!
MattWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
Nhagar

I was wondering if it was possible to get a slider back glass. Guess it is. there is a local glass place that does windshields and windows etc. I was hoping they do back glass also. I guess they will be able to do a slider or is there some extra stuff I need to make it work.
Unread 09-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
Nhagar

if ya know where to come up with a door mechanism that is inside the door. I am gonna be needing one. Part of it was in the bottom of door and kinda banged on it a bit to get it to open up and let the door open earlier. Would rather replace it than take the chance of it locking up again.
Unread 09-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #6
MattWheels
1989 MJ Comanche 

Might have to look into a new door, the junk yard near me charges 200 for a new door, full assembly.
MattWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #7
thedude30425
1989 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhagar View Post
if ya know where to come up with a door mechanism that is inside the door. I am gonna be needing one. Part of it was in the bottom of door and kinda banged on it a bit to get it to open up and let the door open earlier. Would rather replace it than take the chance of it locking up again.
Comanche doors are exactly the same as Cherokee doors. So, you could just swap on a new one or just all it's internals.
thedude30425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

Off a 4 dr only! 2dr units will be good if you want to build an extended cab (just sent mine I was going to do that with to scrap)

I've had doors for sale here at $50 for a long time and finally tossed them for scrap weight.

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.