Jeep noob need help before buying 1990 comanche.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Jeep noob need help before buying 1990 comanche..

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank SkidTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-30-2008, 10:21 PM   #1
jamoka3
1997 ZJ 

Jeep noob need help before buying 1990 comanche..

looking to get a jeep but not sure what to look for, what problems to check for and what can these truck do??

heres some specs of the jeep im looking at!

1990 Jeep Comanche
Long Bed 91k it is lifted 5" the back has a SOA and
coils up front with adj track bar and JKS quick discos, the truck has factory front skid plate / t-case skid / and gas tank skid, the motor is a 6cyl 4.0 non H.O, has a auto trans, there is a tonneau cover on the bed, the bed has a sprayed on liner and so is under the truck, cb
radio and antenna , 10 cd changer full size spare with matching rim.
Good inspection untill summer of 09

ok thats the info i got, now what does it mean?
is it worth $5,000, if not whats a good deal?

jamoka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
Snowplow
2003 TJ Wrangler 

All i can offer is check for rust on bed and rocker and floorboard also check the brake lines for rust.
Good luck though.
Snowplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2008, 05:07 PM   #3
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamoka3 View Post
looking to get a jeep but not sure what to look for, what problems to check for and what can these truck do??

heres some specs of the jeep im looking at!

1990 Jeep Comanche
Long Bed 91k it is lifted 5" the back has a SOA and
coils up front with adj track bar and JKS quick discos, the truck has factory front skid plate / t-case skid / and gas tank skid, the motor is a 6cyl 4.0 non H.O, has a auto trans, there is a tonneau cover on the bed, the bed has a sprayed on liner and so is under the truck, cb
radio and antenna , 10 cd changer full size spare with matching rim.
Good inspection untill summer of 09

ok thats the info i got, now what does it mean?
is it worth $5,000, if not whats a good deal?
It means it's a nice set up for off-roading and if it's in good shape and has a decent amount of miles. 150K would be super low miles, my 90 Cherokee has 220K on it. Average is about 10-12K per year.

It MIGHT be worth 5,000 (there was a similar truck here that sold for $4200 with less mods in fine shape with about 180K on it). Looks like it's got about $2,000 worth of mods and if the owner loved it and took care of it that's a truck to drool for on this site (me anyway).

If you have the $$ and time and can do basic maintenence talk em' down a bit and then bite. Take some pictures if yuou can and post them. I'd love to see it.

X2 on the rust check. I live in CA and have almost zero rust
Unread 08-01-2008, 08:06 AM   #4
75SV1

There was a simular Comanche on E-Bay a few weeks back. It was in CA and white, but a short bed. The pictures looked very nice. From the pictures it looked straight, no dents, no rust etc. It was lifted 4wd, I think Auto. I don't know what if any type of stero equipment. It went for roughly $4,600. So if the lift of yours was done properly and the body has little to no rust, I would say he's in the ballpark. The other way to look at it, is the base truck is probably worth $2,000. So add on the lift, about $800, Also tires 31" so $150 each (???), rims ???. Stereo equipment (???). Rhino lining ($400 to $600 ???). Also, JKS is probably premium stuff. So add that cost to the basic lift kit. Did he lift the Dana 35 or is it a different axel? If Ford 8.8, Ford 9 or Dana 44 then that some extra money, add about $400 if either of those axels. Also extra if it has rear disk.
Pictures would be nice. I wouldn't shy away from a Renix motor. A few HP isn't much and has near the same torque. Some say they get better MPG than the HOs. He is basically selling to a limited market. But if you were looking for a lifted Comanche, with that particualr sereo system (or at least happy with it), then you are probably paying for the base vehicle and the cost of the parts (of the lift and stereo). Thus saving you the cost and or time of labor.
About eight years ago I paid about $1400 for mine and put in about $600 in repairs, then headers (if it has headers add about $500). Many on this board were saying any Comanche wasn't worth over $800. I think Blue Book was $1800+ on them back then. I don't think the price has changed much. Anyways, the prices are going up on nice ones.
Tom
75SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2008, 03:53 AM   #5
Abstruse
2000 WJ 

There's no way I'd pay even close to that much for this, no way at all.

$2,000 would be pushing it, any more than that and you're better off getting a real Jeep like a CJ or something similar thats already built for off road. I have an 86 MJ with 6" profesionaly shop installed lift, Mickey Thompson 35" Baja Claw tires and Mickey Thompson rims, regeared for the tires, always lived in the Nevada desert so the paint is faded but it has absolutely 0 rust, 110K miles, no dents in the body, interior isn't tore up, there is a crack in the center of the windshield (its only significant problem), all new cooling system from front to back heater core and I keep debating to sell it for $1500 or just keeping it. In fact the only reason I haven't put it on Craigs list already is just because my digital camera is having issues.

$5,000 for a MJ though? I wish, but there's no way I'd pay that much for one. I can see why they would ask that much, my 6" lift kit installed was $2,000, the tires and rims were $1,800 and I paid $1,200 for the truck when it was still completely stock, but I can't see ever trying to get any of that back out of it. I never bought it as an investment vehicle though, just a fun project.

I just keep looking at the next phase I wanted to do with this project though, putting custom Dana 44 front and rear axles under it and that pahse is going to run me another $7,000 just in parts, its making the idea tough to swallow and thinking instead I'd be better off just buying another 4X4 with the Dana 44's already under it for likely less money.
Abstruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2008, 09:51 AM   #6
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

Too bad you aren't close to Seattle. I have my '87 shortbox up for $2000 (just needs the dash reassembled and cooler lines for the auto hooked up and fluid filled) It's lifted 5 1/2" (SOA rear, coils and arms in front) Oh! I almost forgot I have the brake double booster upgrade to finish (from a ZJ) *sigh* Need time to do everything before winter hits dang it!
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.