Jeep Comanche 4x4 problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Jeep Comanche 4x4 problem

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-21-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
Manchild
1987 MJ Comanche 

Jeep Comanche 4x4 problem

I have a 87 jeep comanche, converted it to 4w4 2 years ago and just now finally got it running, had to get transfer case, replaced the switch on that. the four lines runnig to the switch were melted so i cut them and replaced sections with rubber hoses. then found out the vacuum lines were hooked up wrong. once i fixed that the light came on and 4x4 worked great, went in at any speed on the fly. recently it hasnt been working on the fly and i have to stop and go through the gears and then after a moment it will engage. what could be the cause of the slow engaging 4x4? another thing around 37-45 mph while in 4w4, when i give throttle the truck will shake when i let off it stops. if anyone could answer these questions it would be very much apprecative, thanks

Manchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Here's how the factory suggests you shift the transfer case and I've been doing this since these things were new and I worked at the dealership. Quoted from the owner's manual.

"To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed". I let off the gas, throw the lever, and then tap the gas and let off.

4L position: " To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 MPH , shift the transmission to Neutral, then shift the transfer lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L".

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 06:17 AM   #3
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

The front axle shift motor delaying because there's not enough vacuum, the diaphragm in it is bad, or the shift collar is bent, or the shift collar is sticking to the one side of the axle and requiring too much force to move it.

Just do this before you get stranded:

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/fre...ss-91-a-38629/

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #4
jjdavidson
1989 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
The front axle shift motor delaying because there's not enough vacuum
here's couple topics of home made posilock
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/hom...si-lock-78838/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...ite-up-595515/
jjdavidson is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.