Jeep Comanche 2.5L RWD to 4WD conversion. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Jeep Comanche 2.5L RWD to 4WD conversion.

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and

Unread 04-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
mtruesdell0208
1988 MJ Comanche 

Jeep Comanche 2.5L RWD to 4WD conversion.

Hi, I'm looking forward to this project, I own an 88 Jeep Comanche Pioneer with a 2.5L in it. The truck has 160,000 miles on it, and the engine runs near perfect, so I would like to avoid doing an unnecessary engine swap. I would like to convert this to 4WD as it is RWD as it is. I have an aisin AX4 manual transmission. I have done some research and found that to do so, and not switch transmissions, I can switch the output spline on the transmission to accept a N231 Transfer case, and change my front axle with one with a differential. The N231 transfer case is not a problem as I believe they are commonly found in XJ Cherokees 87 and up, and wranglers. The f ront DIFF is a little more difficult, Will a front diff and axle off of a Cherokee work? Even if it is a 4.0, I have 4:10 gears in my rear which means I need 4:10 gears in the front. Do the 4.0 cherokees come with the 4:10 gears or do I need to keep looking?

mtruesdell0208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
LimeLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Some rare Cherokees did come with 4.10 gears. A Cherokee D30 front axle will work. Most likely you will just have to get whatever you can and have it regeared.

To swap the transmission output it would be easiest to pull the transmission. If you are pulling the transmission you might as well put a NP231 already mated to a properly setup transmission. Save the trouble of breaking it down to swap the output shaft.
LimeLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
lsmurphy

Look for a 94+ XJ with with an AX5 and it will come with the 4.10 front axle.

No you cannot just swap the tail shaft........You need a 4x4 trans.

I have done this swap.

94+ will have an external slave........this is what you want.

You also need linkage and DS.
lsmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.