ignition module causing spark issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > ignition module causing spark issue

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
87manche17
1987 MJ Comanche 

ignition module causing spark issue

My 87 Comanche is having a issue with the ignition the motor will crank, but I have no spark. Ive already replaced my CPS, Distributor, wires, coil pack, plugs. I have also checked my grounds, I think my ignition module, witch sits under the coil pack, is shot. am I right or could it be something I haven't thought of, I would really appreciate any help.

87manche17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 06:32 AM   #2
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Try this then:

Renix Jeep ICU/Coil contact refreshing

The contacts between the coil and the ICU on your Renix Jeep can become corroded and loose causing a complete or intermittent no-start condition. I recommend the following procedure as a maintenance precaution to insure this is eliminated as a possible cause now and in the future.

The coil is attached to the ICU by two T20 Torx bolts. Remove these two bolts and lift the coil up off the ICU. You will see 2 pins and 2 sets of contacts. Clean both the pins and springy contact pieces with a good electronics cleaner.
Squeeze the springy contacts closer together with some needlenose pliers. Apply some dielectric grease to the contacts and bolt the coil back on to the ICU.
While you’re right there unplug the connectors from the ICU and inspect the pins in the harness connector. Make sure the pins are not retracted into the connector. Spray out the connector and the receptacle of the ICU with the same good electronics cleaner you used earlier. Apply dielectric grease to the connectors and plug them back in.

I feel this procedure should be performed at least once in the lifetime of a Renix Jeep.

Revised 11-29-2011
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
DonBC
1989 MJ Comanche 

I would try the cleaning process as mentioned. I had the same problem about 3 months ago and after following test routines on the components that could affect spark I came to the conclusion that it probably was the ICM. They are a little pricey and I was reluctant to spend the money if that wasn't the problem so I picked one up at a salvage yard and that solved the problem.
DonBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBC View Post
I would try the cleaning process as mentioned. I had the same problem about 3 months ago and after following test routines on the components that could affect spark I came to the conclusion that it probably was the ICM. They are a little pricey and I was reluctant to spend the money if that wasn't the problem so I picked one up at a salvage yard and that solved the problem.
R*C*B*R*C = Refresh* Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
Unread 03-26-2014, 07:46 PM   #5
vjsimone
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

Comanche - No Spark

OK 87manche17 - What happened??

Thanks Cruiser54 for your post, my 88 MJ, IL6 had a no spark situation. MJ sat up a few months. Cleaned the connectors under the coil, and she started right up.

99 XJ Limited, 95 YJ, 93 ZJ Grand Wagoneer, 88 Grand Wagoneer,
88 MJ Comanche, 61 Willys Wagon

Last edited by vjsimone; 03-28-2014 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: Update on repair issue after reading post.
vjsimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 09:28 PM   #6
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjsimone View Post
OK 87manche17 - What happened??

Thanks Cruiser54 for your post, my 88 MJ, IL6 had a no spark situation. MJ sat up a few months. Cleaned the connectors under the coil, and she started right up.
Woohoo!!

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.