Help with getting my tranny back in - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Help with getting my tranny back in

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 05-15-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
Dedgar
1988 MJ Comanche 

Help with getting my tranny back in

I recently got a mj with a blown motor, it also came with a 93 xj 4.0. As the mj came stock with a renix motor I kept my intake and exhaust and swaped the rest. Now that I am trying to get my ax15 put back in place I can't get it to slide all the way on. Am I not lining it up well enough or is there some small difference that is keeping me from finishing up? Any help would be great.

Dedgar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like you have the clutch disc slightly mis-aligned, or you need to put the tranny into gear and turn the tranny slightly as your pushing it in to align splines to clutch disc.

Easy, cheap clutch alignment too, use a extension that or long bolt that fits in the pilot bushing, and then wrap mashing take around it till it fits snuggly in the clutch disc.
Unread 05-15-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
Dedgar
1988 MJ Comanche 

That was my first thought too, so after a week of waiting at the mailbox it showed up today and I aligned it. I can get spindle started into the clutch but it stops about an inch short of flush. Also I used the pressure plate, clutch and flywheel off the 88 motor, not sure if that matters.
Unread 05-15-2014, 08:46 PM   #4
87MJTim
1987 MJ Comanche 

What yr was the AX15 from? The trans input shaft sizes changed. The shaft size was larger on the early AX15s. The pilot bushing in the 4.0 maybe to small. It may need to be changed. I believe it was 93 or 94 that the changed occurred.

87 Comanche, 4.0, BA10/5, D44
84 CJ7, 4.2, AX15 (Formerly T5)
87MJTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2014, 08:53 PM   #5
Dedgar
1988 MJ Comanche 

Pretty sure the tranny is the original so it would be a 88, how hard is it to change an input shaft?
Unread 05-15-2014, 08:57 PM   #6
87MJTim
1987 MJ Comanche 

The change in input shafts was from 91 to 92.

You want to change the pilot bushing. They're $5 - $6 from Rockauto.com. Be sure to search for one from an early model 4.0/AX15.

You can rent a bearing puller and slide hammer from many auto parts stores.

Edit:

You want the pilot bushing for the earlier AX15

Unread 05-15-2014, 09:12 PM   #7
Dedgar
1988 MJ Comanche 

Thanks for the info, I was figured there had to be something I didn't know.lol
Unread 05-15-2014, 09:16 PM   #8
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

We put a tranny from a 90 model XJ in the sons 88 MJ that had a ba5/10 the pilot bushing was the same, but my 87 someone used a later model AX15 and it took me a few tries at the parts store to finally get one that worked.
Unread 05-15-2014, 09:23 PM   #9
87MJTim
1987 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caish View Post
We put a tranny from a 90 model XJ in the sons 88 MJ that had a ba5/10 the pilot bushing was the same, but my 87 someone used a later model AX15 and it took me a few tries at the parts store to finally get one that worked.
The early AX15 (pre 92) had the same input shaft as the BA 10. When you use the later AX15 (or a 4.0 that was mated to a later AX15 with the earlier model) you have to change the pilot bushing.

Unread 05-29-2014, 11:16 AM   #10
Dedgar
1988 MJ Comanche 

Ok so I haven't had a lot of time to work on this with the new bushing until today, but I'm still having a problem getting the tranny in. I have the right pilot bushing but still can't get it to slip in the right way, I got some long bolts to help line it up with no success. Any suggestions? Should I use the flywheel off the 93?
Unread 05-30-2014, 06:40 AM   #11
87MJTim
1987 MJ Comanche 

The flywheel should remain with the engine. The 88 is Renix; a 93 is HO. The 93 would not work without a major wiring upgrade. Think CPS.

Can you tell where it is binding up? Is it the pilot bushing or is the clutch not lined up properly? Just asking for possibilities.

Unread 06-02-2014, 01:16 PM   #12
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Have you removed the old pilot bushing AND re-installed the new? When I looked at the pilot busing on mine I couldn't tell that there was a bushing there until I did some digging. whatever you do don't use the bolts to "pull on" the tranny...it should slip right in if you have all the right parts & pieces installed correctly.
Unread 06-03-2014, 11:56 AM   #13
Dedgar
1988 MJ Comanche 

I got it back in now, everything was lined up right but the new brass bushing was so tight I had to use longer bolts to slowly pull the bell housing flush, it seems ok now just need to get the shifter back in and transfer case back on. Thanks for everyone's help!!

Tags
ax15

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.