Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Help ????

686 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  bogusbronco 
#1 ·
went to summertown yesterday then on my whey home my jeep is shaking real bad when i give it gas but when i put it in N and coast down a hill nothing
i looked at the drive shaft and there is no damage on it and when i shake it
it doesn't have play SO :confused:

#3 ·
boost said:
went to summertown yesterday then on my whey home my jeep is shaking real bad when i give it gas but when i put it in N and coast down a hill nothing
i looked at the drive shaft and there is no damage on it and when i shake it
it doesn't have play SO :confused:
quicky checks:

right side engine mount- then left side.
both leaf springs/coils and shocks-AND ubolts on axle.
the u-joints, in NUTREL, with no weight on the vehicle...yes jack it up in the rear, because...you have to also check the rear wheel axle bearings with it off the ground, in Nutrel....just spin and listen. When they go bad, they start by showing up with power on, not coasting.

check torque on rear wheel nuts....move to front.

jack front up, chek both track bar/arms/whatever people are now calling them.

--road test--

if the problem presists, rotate tires- ONE SIDE AT A TIME-- passenger side first, road test, then drivers side.

in that order.

dont ask- if its any of those, I`ll explain then.

it has to do with torque, ackerman angle, and tires.
I`ll even bet its twice as bad going uphill.;)

#4 ·
My 87 started doing the same vibrating, I just wish it was a lil warmer here. My garage isn't heated, but I'm afraid if I don't get under it soon to find the origin of the vibration, it's only gonna get worse and cause some serious damage. I just use it to tow my boat back and forth to the Mississippi River. I probably put on about 200 miles a month on it.
I do, however, know it's not the U-joints. It could be the motor or tranny mounts.

I'll get back with yall and let ya know what I find out.

Thanks for the info.:thumbsup:

bogus

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.