Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Hello from new guy.

860 views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Billygote 
#1 ·
:wave: I wanted to say hello and thanks to the folks at Jeepforum and especially the comanche forum. I've been using the forum for the last couple of weeks to research as much as I could about the mj before buying one and the posts here have helped greatly. This past weekend I purhcased a 90 4wd with a 4.0 5spd. The truck has almost 185k and is in very good condition with no rust. I've driven it a couple hundred miles so far and I like the truck more and more. I'll be coming back often to the comanche forum and I look forward to learning more about the mj and the folks who drive them.

Thanks again.
BG

#2 ·
well hello, new guy.
go break something on your new ride, so we can fix it.:rofl:

a 90MJ, 4x4...with under 200,000? thats a good find...without rust? even better.
not a farm truck thats falling apart at the seams, with no grill and a working front axle?

someone got lucky.

welcome aboard.

I havent been through arab in years...

#3 ·
Welcome to our wacky world of MJ collectors/restorers, and MJ abusers:eek: I fal into the latter, but if you need advice on how to totally destroy it.. just ask me:D

#4 ·
Hey, Ed, I'm glad to be here. I haven't been through Hiawassee before but on the map it looks like a nice place to live.

My truck does have a blemish or two and a couple of little bugs. I've picked up a Chiltons so maybe with it and the forum I can eliminate them.

I noticed that this forum is only about a year old, will the xj forum have useful information too?

#5 ·
cj7xjmj said:
Welcome to our wacky world of MJ collectors/restorers, and MJ abusers:eek: I fal into the latter, but if you need advice on how to totally destroy it.. just ask me:D
I've got a lot to choose from where I live as far as doing some light offroading. Mainly going to be a dd though. Main reason I got one was how it looks and I know it will last.

#6 ·
Welcome aboard, sounds like you scored a nice Comanche. Like Patrick said, this is a diverse group but we all love Comanche's.:wave:

#8 ·
Billygote said:
I noticed that this forum is only about a year old, will the xj forum have useful information too?
Yes. The two have much in common, but have some important differences... like rear suspension, different floor pan. If you ever have any doubts about if a XJ related item applies to the MJ, just ask here.

#11 ·
87-90 are the non-H.O. 4.0L years. Depending on exactly what you need, the rest of the years (84-96) can supply parts too. I like to use car-part.com for searching junkyards as well as researching part interchangeability. Best bet is to ask though before plunking down your money. Weird things happened in the handover years.
Jeep on!
--Pete

ComancheClub.com

#12 ·
Thanks Pete.
What time I've used the search tool I've found that there must a lot of parts out there in salvage yards. I need to p/up a new hood release,the one in the middle, and I need the Jeep emblem for the front.

Is there supposed to be a light behind the heat/air controls?

#13 ·
87-96 (and maybe even the 97+) will share the hood release design of your '90. Don't quote me on this, but I think I'm remembering that there's a tiny little bulb that goes in the heater controls. I'd run out and check mine, but I borrowed the battery from my 88 and my 86 doesn't have a dash. :D
Jeep on!
--Pete

ComancheClub.com

#15 ·
Billygote said:
Thanks Pete.
What time I've used the search tool I've found that there must a lot of parts out there in salvage yards. I need to p/up a new hood release,the one in the middle, and I need the Jeep emblem for the front.

Is there supposed to be a light behind the heat/air controls?
yes, and just about everybody's is broken. It's a little bayonet style light. Takes a type 94 bulb maybe? It looks like a big Christmas light, plugs in the same. It's on the upper right hand corner of the heater control unit if you're looking at the face of it.

#16 ·
87manche said:
yes, and just about everybody's is broken. It's a little bayonet style light. Takes a type 94 bulb maybe? It looks like a big Christmas light, plugs in the same. It's on the upper right hand corner of the heater control unit if you're looking at the face of it.
Thanks, I was flipping through Chilton's and thought I saw where the light must go. It looks like getting at the light is pretty simple?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.