Heartbroken...RIP Manch. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Heartbroken...RIP Manch.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
NY XJ
1988 MJ Comanche 

Heartbroken...RIP Manch.

88 Manche... finally had the mech working it back up too be able to drive her back n forth to work. But after too long of sitting, tranny's shot, and the head gasket's blown.

I dont have the skills, and the mechanics looking at me like I'm nuts to even think about sinking the money in it to bring it back to life.

So I'm bout beat down here n ready to give up. If I had the skills I'd fix it but I'm nowhere near that capable. If one of you guys needs a project/part truck in NY Hudson Valley/Putnam area LMK I'd rather see it go to a good home than die a plow truck or getting crushed. Just put a D44 and brand new springs out back. It's got a 1 yr old 2" BB lift on it w/ RRO Ext shackles.
If any of you have any idea how to bring t back from the brink and/or you all think its worth it for me to fight for it I guess LMK know that here too. Chime on in. Just having tough time letting an old friend go but I'm pretty much outta options.....

NY XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Sitting doesn't usually kill a trans. What is "shot"?

And a headgasket can be swapped with you, a set of wrenches, and a manual, in an afternoon. They aren't all that expensive either. I think a whole head gasket kit for a 4.0 runs about $50.

Find some local jeepers that might be able to help guide you through.
Unread 03-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
NY XJ
1988 MJ Comanche 

Ok you're right. See? In my misery I'm not even thinking straight.
Tranny won't shift. Was low, full quart low, on ATF. Mech put 1 in I left. Tranny wasn't shifting. After really getting on it ( my way: hit it with a bigger hammer, or in this case mash the gas)
It up shifted, missed, slipped a little then fine, so on so forth. Got on the hiway, repeated the above process and smelled the bittersweet smell of antifreeze thru the vents, pretended it wasn't happening then pulled over and she was all done. Mechs guess: no up shift on the hiway, overheat, blown head gasket.

Anyone else?
NY XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
automan2164
1986 MJ Comanche 

Through the vents? It's more common with these to blow the heater core than the head gasket. Try pressurizing the system with a coolant pressure pump and see if you lose any fluid. My bet is if you are anywhere, it's in the cab. It's even harder to kill an AW4 trans. I've heard of them running on mud. Something isn't right. I have heard of some small electrical problems that are simple, but can't recall what on the trans... Do some research, I bet you are not nearly as bad off as you think.

Rob
automan2164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2012, 06:51 AM   #5
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I might suggest posting some of the issues over in the cherokee forum. A bit more traffic, same engine and trans.
Unread 03-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
CooterTKE
2010 JK Wrangler 

Just offer some free beer and a few guys will show to help out. Best way I learned was I just grabbed my manual for my mustang and started fixing what I thought was wrong. If you think it is dead you cannot kill it by trying to change the head gasket yourself.
CooterTKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #7
LobstahJeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Junkyard auto trans: $75
Vic Reinz headgasket set: $70
24 pack of beer: $18

Saving your Jeep: Priceless
LobstahJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.